The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Neighbours
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:33 pm 

I think you can use the old adage, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". If I were you, I would calmly inform the council of what is going on - by phone - not email - on a daily basis. If you phone them every day, someone has to deal with you at that moment and not at their leisure when you inform them by email.

I like the idea of logging everything. Keep it all written down with dates and times and video tape what you can if you have a camera. But every day that something occurs, phone the council. If that is daily, then do it. They will get tired of hearing from you and they will want to do something about it.

It is also important that you are never angry when phoning the council. If you sound concerned, frightened or exhausted, that is ok...but never annoyed or angry at them.

Sometimes these things just require persistence, past the point you think is enough.

I do hope you get a resolution to this. The guy sounds mentally unstable, and that IS frightening.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

Karen wrote:
They will get tired of hearing from you and they will want to do something about it.

Sounds like a good suggestion, but CAN they do anything?

I don´t know about the legal system in the UK, but here my neighbours who own my winter pasture have a similar problem (only that in their case they actually fear for their lives and those of the children, because Olaf´s highly delusional brother says they were torturing him with electricity at night, so he does not only shout at them but also wrote letters containing direct threats and he tells the children that they will have to visit their parents in the hospital soon... and that they live in the same house so that he has access to all their private rooms doesn´t make it better), but the police said they could not do anything unless he really hurt one of them.

Claire, I hope that this horror will end soon. :f: :pet:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:59 pm 

i am sorry for you....i have no suggestions....
i will do this for you :pray:

:friends:
inge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:02 am 

Hey Claire!

Just catching up with your neighbor horror story.

Sounds to me like he has dementia. Tragic and awful and not easy to live with! (Or next to, as the case may be...) :huh:

I think you've gotten great advice.

i'd also suggest that you call the police any time you have an issue with him -- in fact, it may be helpful even to call your loal police department and ask if you can come in and talk to them about these problems when you all are not in crisis mode -- I've found that this can be helpful in enlisting police as allies. A "what can I do to help this poor guy and his wife and protect myself and my household" question can sometimes open up some really good ideas and support.

Hope you find peace! I feel for you and Mike, and most especially for his poor wife. (And, truthfully, for him, too...sounds like he's living in his own private hell...

xoxox
Leigh