The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:32 pm 

Hi everybody,
last week I visited Equitana, Europes largest horsefair and want to give you a short report.

The highlight form e was to see Honza Blaha. I saw him already in videos and was not so shure what to think of him. I’m still not shure how much pressure he uses to teach his horses but one thing I’m absolutely shure: His horses have fun playing with him! I saw him doing a ten minutes show with two horses (Gaston and a younger one) where he showed astonishing things. But for me the main thing was, that his horses didn’t act like robots like some of the parelli-way trained horses often do. They were very playful and vivid and seemed very eager to spend time and do something with Honza. Also they made a self-concious impression - Especially Gaston „attacked“ Honza in a playful way several times with ears back (what I know as „playface“) and rearing at him, certainly always respectful. When one horse had to wait and Honza called it, it run jumping and headshaking towards him, looking full of joy. Also I liked Honzas quiet and calm of acting.
The short show touched me deeply. :)

Then there was Jean Francois Pignon presenting his new book. You can order it through his website. I didn’t buy it because it is so heavy, but I think I’ll order it. It contents his story and also quite detailed instructions how he works with his horses. He was at the exibition stand himself and made a very pleasent and humble impression. :)

Then I found a shop that is specialiced on bitless bridles (http://www.reitsportgroskorth.de). They have several different sidepulls, riding halters and a spezial construction called „Glücksstern“ similar to Lehmekühlers „Glücksrad“.

I found it hard to see all the frightened and stressed horses that were shown in the several arenas beeing ridden traditionally :ieks: ... But on the other hand, I had the impression that people that do it a different way, are more and more present there. :yes: There were several people for example in several demonstrations with different backrounds that rode without bridle – for example the pupils of Silke Valentin (who by the way used the wording „now let’s ask the horse fort his and that“. I don’t know if it is expressed in english what I mean, but in German she used a wording that is quite unusual and contains the possibility fort he horse to say no. :applause:

Than I let make a Cordeo by a craftsman that makes everything you want from rope. It’s great, I’ll put a photo here later:

All in all Equitana was absolutely worth the visit for me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:13 pm 

Sounds like there were some interesting things there. Is Silke Valentin the lady in the wheelchair that does Parelli??? Her name sounds familiar. How exciting that there are more "alternative" people showing their skills. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:50 am 
Site Admin

Miriam and her ponies have personal experience with Honza, so you can ask her.

I am happy to hear all of this! Finally change!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm 

About Honza Blaha, I once saw a video where he was jumping with his horse over quite a high jump. You just saw the feelings of both horse and man before the jump. Some sort of pleasure tension like "yep, we're going to do that' and the feeling afterwards both very happy they did that.

I'm not sure how he teaches his horses but they seem to have a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:36 pm 

hi i wasn't able to go this year :sad: next time we will go again. it is always nice to see new things. And hard to see those poor horses ridden traditionally, as you wrote.
I know Honza too, i have seen him several times and spoken to him. A nice quiet man and a good hard for his horses, tho they are not barefoot :huh:
He have trained his horses very good, once i have seen him after a show, the horses still unbridled and he walks trhough the crowed with his horses back to the stables. So good, mean time he get 1000 of questions form people, the horses stand still when he stood still and go further when Honza started to walk again.
They stay totally still and interested in everything around them. But the eyes constantly on the "master"

I dont know exactly how he trained his horses, but i think they are happy thats the most important issue for me. a happy horse even in a not at home situation. His horses have to travel a lot. Poorly most of the time stabled. So if they do like that also???

It is good to hear that things are changing too on the equitana...
It is slowly groing YES!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:44 pm 

I am sure he started out with Parelli, as I remember pictures of him and his little horse jumping massive fences even back then! I thought he must be crazy, as I am scared even of little jumps. :blush: I don't know if he is still with them or progressed away. I think he has a website of his own now? I am sure I have seen it somewhere. I just cannot remember all the names of the people doing great things with their horses, there are getting more and more, and now I am here there are even more still! :D Soon the bad ways of handling will be all gone and these events will be so full of inspiration and heart for the horses.