The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:12 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Lazy girth system
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:14 pm 

What I mean is that I get off sometimes when we come to a more 'dangerous' spot where my horse does not dare to pass or walk over. I walk over it my self first, showing it's ok and than very nicely I support my horse to overcome its fear and walk over it also.
We do that several times in both directions and when he's very much at ease with it, than only I (try to) get on again.

And thàt's when this little lady stands next to this biiiig horse, looking up (litteraly) to it... :roll:

:love:

AnneMarie

------
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make'em drink...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:17 pm 

I know what you mean. With Morgan I use a mounting block but out on a ride sometimes you do need to get off for whatever reason!
At this point my girth is tight (as I have done it up after getting on at the mounting block and strolling around a little so if I have to get off then the girth is still tight.
When I need to mount I first make sure that Morgan is lower than me (ie check the ground level and use it to your advantage by pointing the horse in the right direction), I then lower the stirrup by about 3 or 4 holes so that I don't have to do gymnastics to get my foot in and am in a better position to be able to hop from my ground leg. At this point I do not hold the saddle at all. I use a hunk of mane and neck if I need to and then push from my ground foot up and over. This way the saddle does not move at all. It is near on impossible for me to mount from the ground with my riding length stirrup. So once up I just then shorten that one side.
Does that help at all?
Obviously your horse has to learn to stand still when mounted and also be able to tolerate you pulling a little on the mane/withers but I have to say Morgan is happy for me to do this but is not happy at all if I grab or drag on the saddle while mounting. Of course you are going to have trouble doing this with a western saddle!!!!!! :funny:

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:47 pm 

Quote:
Obviously your horse has to learn to stand still when mounted and also be able to tolerate you pulling a little on the mane/withers but I have to say Morgan is happy for me to do this but is not happy at all if I grab or drag on the saddle while mounting. Of course you are going to have trouble doing this with a western saddle!!!!!! :funny:

Annette, I think your still mostly works the same, pulling a little on the mane, learning to push off well with the ground leg and of course stirrups are usually longer anyhow. Because a western saddle is bigger it does not shift as easily with a tiny bit of pulling. I try to push down on the saddle horn with my right hand after I've bounced off the ground and pulled up a little with my left hand on the mane.