The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:21 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Lazy girth system
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:57 pm 

I was informed by a friend of mine of this new girth system. I sure looks easy for the human - but what about the horse inside...?

Basically, it is a mechanical system of pulleys and cables which enables the rider to tighten the girth with a simple twist of a knob. The ramifications of abuse for the horse is clear and obvious.

My friend has asked that people visit the site, analyze the product and email the makers of the Easy Girth, asking them to consider the ethical aspects of such a device in the hands of those inexperienced or careless hands, and the need for a clear warning label and perhaps even withdrawal of the product from sale until proper education of their customers can take place.

You can see the system here: http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s2399592.htm

and send emails directly to the makers here Latimers@cirruscomms.com.au asking them to take some sort of responsibility to the horses of their customers, or at least make a warning label on this device with the dangers of overtightening a girth.

(I am not sure where to put these kind of posts so I did it here - just move it elsewhere if you like..).

Post subject: Re: Lazy girth system
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:14 pm 

Hey --

Just as an FYI for people, in case you react without reading closely, this is a fourteen year old girl who has invented this.

Not saying i think it's a good idea -- like you, Kirsti, I'm concerned about how easy it would be to really overtighten the girth -- but I thought I'd mention that its inventor is young before anyone flew off into a tirade at her assuming she was an adult... ;)

Thanks, Kirsti, for sharing this -- reminds me of a TRULY horrible contraption I saw somewhere of a metal box that horses could get exercised in...posted it somewhere, just awful.

Hugs,
Leigh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:32 pm 

Wow - it was made of a 14 year old girl :ieks: !

I am kind of impressed of her skills in making things - and I am sure it help her and other kids a lot. The bad stuff become if grownups uses this - it wil be SO easy to over-tight the girth (I can imagine - I have not tried it of course..).

Thank you for telling me...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:01 am 
Site Admin

Whew, respect for her to invent this at such a young age! :clap:

I think I would love such an easy girth tightener, especially when it's cold in the winter, the straps are slippery with rain and my hands are frozen... :evil: Not only the tightening can become problematic then, but even more annoying, the loosening! Of course you shouldn't pull them too tight in the first place, but even when it's okay those stupid straps can make it quite hard to fasten and loosen the entire thing.

Another plus side for this system is that you don't pull your horse to the side when pulling up the straps. When the father tightens the girth in the traditional way, he seems to throw over the entire pony with the force he uses to tighten the girth. With the pulley system, you simply pull down and the horse can stand still and balanced in the meantime.

What I liked, was the way the little girl with the white pony fastened the girth with a simple, soft downwards pull because she didn't use any pressure at all and there wasn't any overtightening either. But when before that the inventor fastened the girth on the chestnut pony, I actually was quite shocked to see how tight the girth went. Instead of keeping the saddle in place with the girth slinging tighter around the belly, it actually pulled the saddle down into the horse!

I think it would be a great thing for handicapped and less strong people in slippery weather like me, but it sure would need a warning label in order to tell people not to pull it too hard, and what happens with the chestnut pony in my opinion is way too hard already. I don't see how you can place a flat hand underneath the girth like that, and that should always be the case.

New horse book: Mandala horses!

Never stop making mistakes! Natural Dressage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:36 am 

Yes, Miriam - a warning label would do... I can't believe how tight people wants their girth anyway.... But I do see your point with small people and handicapped people - and people all over who do not abuse this. But it is a thing that is very very easy to overtight - I think a lot of people overtight their girths already - and with this they can do even more....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:56 pm 

I know this does not affect many horses, but at the beginning that I had MJ she used to be very difficult to close the girth.
One time I was hurried and she didn't cooperate and I pulled the girth on too tight in one move. And she completely got scared and fell down on the ground with her front legs. I don't know what causes this, but ever since I only close the girth on the first whole and then waith until she is ready and then I can close the girth higher.
Making her belly big was a way of telling that to me.

But this to the side.

I don't think it is bad if some kids get some help from older people.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:41 pm 

Please check out my new girth tighten tool. My step father made it and patent it. He passed away 3 months ago, and just trying to pass it on to people, its never really been shown. You can see it at cinch-kwik.com

Thanks Dan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:53 pm 

Hi Dan, and welcome! :D
That's such a cool idea, I have friends that struggle with their hands due to arthritus and this would be ideal. Much more humane to the poor horse.

If you are mounting a horse correctly then the girth does not need to be tight. Am I the only one that does the girth up after they have got on?

The first invention worries me from the point that it looks like the invention is basically tightening the one side of the girth. The buckle has not gone higher, the girth has just been scrunched up. So now you have a horse with an overtightened girth, scrunched on the skin on the one side and the saddle sitting skew?
:ieks:

P.S I added a link for you. 8)
http://www.cinch-kwik.com/

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:48 am 

dan wrote:
Please check out my new girth tighten tool. My step father made it and patent it. He passed away 3 months ago, and just trying to pass it on to people, its never really been shown. You can see it at cinch-kwik.com

Thanks Dan

If I was disabled I might consider such a tool. On the other hand, there have been a few cases of overtightened girth or cinch causing a horse to go "cinchbound," and rear over backwards with the rider. Often with serious damage. I've taken one fall that way with a green horse (no, not cinchbound just stupid rider working a green horse in too tight a circle) in about 1970. My kidneys still ache now and then to remind me. We crashed into a fence. Probably saved me more damage than I got.

Had I overcinched the horse and we had been in the clear, she might still have come over on me and possibly killed me. People do claim it has happened.

Not buying, thanks anyway.

Donald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:49 am 
Site Admin

I think it's a marvellous and simple idea. (And welcome Dan :) )
But indeed, it should be pointed out that it is only for people who haven some kind of trouble with their hands or fingers. (Which I have in cold and wet winters...)

Capitain Dési Laurant always made his point about not holding on to horse and saddle but keeping ones balance by having the girth removed before he asked his horse for piaffe, levade and a courbette! 8) :clap:

A girth should never be tight. When a saddle slides, either the rider does not have enough balance, or the saddle does not fit.
Also, we should all get on with a step or a friendly foot given by someone around. :)
Healthy for us , the saddle and above all, our horse :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:25 pm 

"Also, we should all get on with a step or a friendly foot given by someone around."

Well said! how often this is forgotten!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:05 pm 

I can agree on this idea of a step or a helping hand.
I always use a step if there is one available.

But I used to ride on my own to the woods.
When I had to get off somewhere on the way, I just could not get back up again because my saddle was just not tightened properly...
No helping hand around than. And not always a log big enough for me little lady to get on my big horse :roll:
Gets frustrating when you are there than, I can tell you!

:love:

AnneMarie

------
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make'em drink...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

ha ha ! that's why they invented W.E. so you can do all things without getting off :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:41 pm 

W.E. ?????

AnneMarie

------
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make'em drink...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:55 pm 

I think she means the little packet that you can "wee" in whilst on horseback so you wouldn't need to get off the horse!!!!
But then again maybe you meant something else....Josepha?

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon