The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:04 pm 

I pretty much knew that FEI level Dressage and Hunter required the use of bits, but I did not know that in the Show Jumping and Cross Country phases of three day eventing you didn't have to use bits!

I stumbled upon this page http://www.bitlessbridle.com/ and noticed that Dr. Robert Cook thinks people should start petitions to include the bitless bridle in Dressage and Hunter competitions. What a great idea! And he said he'd gladly provide literature for anyone who wants it by emailing him at drcook@bitlessbridle.com.

I think we should all do this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:40 pm 

I only found out you could jump bitless when I bought the cavesson for Tamarack...one thing it is called, is a "jump" or "Jumping" cavesson! So I asked some questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:57 pm 

I was recently informed that since last month the first 1 or 2 levels of "official" dressage can now be ridden bitless here in SA!

I'm still trying to confirm it through the local affiliated organisation who "keeps track" of every registered horse's progression up the levels as points are earned.

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:38 pm 

i read this...today..this is great..who's next??
not that i am interessted in riding dressage or what else for sport but...this is wonderfull a new step to a better horse-world

HOT PRESS: Wonderful news from South Africa of a breakthrough in rule changes for dressage. Congratulations and thanks to the Bitless Dressage Committee in South Africa. Their press release is printed below:

Bitless dressage approved by South African National Equine Federation (SANEF)!

At the annual National Dressage Meeting in February, 2008, SANEF approved the introduction of bitless dressage classes (Novice and Pre-Novice initially) at graded dressage shows on a year trial basis starting later this year.

This followed extensive representations to SANEF by a Bitless Dressage Committee over a long period of time. All aspects of bitless riding and dressage competitions were discussed and a proposal was then put up to the National Dressage Committee where it was debated at the February meeting. Final details of the rules governing bitless dressage and classes will be announced in due course as well as the starting date.

South Africa should be proud that our Equestrian Federation has been so forward-looking as to be one of the first countries to give bitless dressage an official forum.

Over the years the art of horsemanship has developed and changed as new approaches to equipment and training have evolved. Recently these changes have become more profound as riders and owners of all sorts have embraced modern concepts of horsemanship less anchored in military roots. One of these new directions has resulted in many riders now riding bitless in all manner of 'bridles' ranging from neckstrings through rope head-collars to 'professional' bitless bridles. Riders riding bitless have ranged from novices and happy hackers through to 'serious' classical riders doing Haute Ecole dressage. This has opened up a whole new curiosity as to how well dressage tests can be done bitless.

Any riders who are inspired to do 'formal' bitless dressage, whether they currently ride bitted dressage or don't ride dressage but ride bitless and may be keen to enter dressage, are requested to express their interest by emailing their name, locality and experience to bitlessdressage@webafrica.org.za so that a register of bitless dressage riders can be compiled. Please also state what bitless bridle you are currently using.

Please pass this information onto anyone who may be interested. Let's make this a success for SANEF!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:50 pm 

Bravo to South Africa for being bold enough to set a new standard!!!

:-)

Best,
Leigh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:10 pm 

can only echo leigh's words here....great going South Africa for leading the way!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:15 pm 

YAY!!!!!!!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

THANK YOU TO ALL FORWARD THINKERS!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:54 am 

In show jumping you can pretty much use whatever head gear you want- they restrict standing martingales and draw reins, but bits/hackamores all game.

GO S.A.!!!

I would just like to see doubles, spurs, and nosebands be OPTIONAL in FEI. If one could show GP in a simple snaffle or french link without the mouth strapped shut and no spur or whip, that in itself would be huge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:51 am 
Site Admin

Indeed Danee!!

And go SA!!!! Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:31 pm 

The International Riding Academy is having an International Dressage Freestyle Championship show where you are allowed to ride bitless (in SP or CBB). You may want to check it out. http://iracademy.webs.com/freestylechampionships.htm