The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Romy's drawing attempts
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:03 am 
Site Admin

Yesterday I celebrated my wonderful Titum-day with some drawing - I haven't done this for years and it shows, I am afraid. I have become a little bit stiff in using the pencil. Nevertheless I will post the outcome, hoping that I will find some more time this winter to practice a little bit again.

While looking through my old pictures I found another horse drawing that I have made seven years ago:

Last edited by Romy on Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

Very nice! I love the way you just let the whites be white. I'm very bad at that. 8)

So it really was time we opened this forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

you call that an attempt?

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:54 pm 

Romy...so beautiful! Very nice!

I am enjoying this topic very much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you so very much, Miriam, Josepha and Karen!!
I am always a little bit stupid with my pictures... never sure if they are terrible or not. So thanks a lot for your nice replies. And I am enjoying this topic very much too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:48 am 

Great drawings Romy. There is movement in it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you, Madeleine!!

Nothing new in my diary today, because we did almost the same like yesterday... but I still felt that I had to make some sort of contribution. ;)
So I was drawing again this evening:

Last edited by Romy on Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:13 pm 

Great drawing. Are you telling us you did that not even in a day. 2 hours or less!!! :twisted:

I am definitely jealous without any shame since a horse can be jealous too. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:31 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks again, Madeleine!! No, I can't draw for a whole day, because after some time I always start to hate the pictures and destroy them. ;) So I have to stop before I reach that point, which is after one or two hours.

Today I am visiting my sister and the children found some old horsebooks and wanted to practise drawing horses with me. This drawing was meant to be a ten-minutes sketch for them so that I don't only have to sit there and watch... but then I continued after they had gone to bed. I have promised it to an eight year old girl, so it will end up rumpled somewhere in a corner of her room. :funny:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:26 am 
Site Admin

Last week a friend of my friend Romy asked me to draw her dog for her. I am not really happy with that picture as it looks a bit too comic-like for my taste, but as I haven't posted (nor drawn) anything else for months and still wanted to update this topic, here it is.

Sorry for the bad quality of the photo, but they had no scanner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:13 am 

wonderful drawings! I love the one of the foals playing....you certainly have a gift!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 pm 

wow great drawings Romy 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:25 am 
Site Admin

oh I love the foals and the comic dog!
A lot of dogs simply are like that ands always make you smile, just like your drawing did me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:08 pm 

whaw, this is talent. Absolutely stunning. You can really be sure of it, they are wonderful and definetely NOT stupid!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:46 am 

Your drawings are wonderfull Romy. 8)
And I can understand that you sometimes destroy your work - I'm never satisfited with my drawings also, always think that I could do better! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you all very much, Claire, Frances, Josepha, Tanja and Elvira!! :) So nice of you. :smile:

I spent this afternoon finishing something that I had wanted to be done for weeks and never managed somehow, but now I decided that it was time to get it ready so that I can start some new ones that are waiting. Anyone knows that little lady? ;)

Haha, and don´t worry if you don´t recognize it, it´s not exactly like I wanted it to be and I was again only a millimeter away from destroying it. So nothing has changed after all. :green:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:34 am 

ohhhh Romy, your artwork is sooooo beautiful!!! :applause: :applause: :applause: i love the one with the foals playing, it is just magnificent!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: these are sellable artworks, they are really wonderful. :love: :love: :love: i am hanging to see more.

it is just amazing to me how many wonderful horse women are also very artistic, wether it is with artwork, music, dance, etc, it just amazes me!!!!

i am so glad that you have shared these pictures with us. i will just keep looking at them every so often, they are heart warming! :love: :love: :f: :f: :f: :f:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:52 am 

I agree these pictures are fantastic. I love all of them. I just showed my daughter your pictures and she loved them, too. I also showed her what you wrote about being tempted to destroy them and how you stop before that happens. She's definitely a perfectionist, having almost destroyed a number of her pictures, so needed to know that she's not alone in having that impulse. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks so much, Jess and Birgit!! :)

jessplum wrote:
i love the one with the foals playing, it is just magnificent!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

That´s funny, it is one of the few drawings that I have not given away yet, so it´s still in my office under a layer of dust. ;) If you mail me your address, I will send it over to Australia. :smile:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm 

Is that Sunrise? :love:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

Yep! :)

Or at least it was supposed to be her, but I think there is a lot of Titum in it and a lot of other things, too. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:19 pm 

haha for a topic that's titled drawing attempts I find these quite good attempts ;) the first one is so cute :love:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks so very much, Helene! :)

Well, I don't really like most of my drawings, but with paintings it is even worse: most of them look like pictures painted by children. :blush: :green:
So I have to say that I am quite happy with this one:

Sorry for the bad photo quality, the painting looks a tad better in real life (there you can even see the single hairs ;)), but this picture is a video still, because my camera can't take photos anymore. But I had to film it now because I will give it away soon, it's a present for my 87-year-old step-grand-aunt Eva. I so hope that she will like it. :smile:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:16 pm 

I can only wish I could draw like that when I was a child, or even now haha :D

Great job!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you, Kirsten!! :kiss:

Here is another one that I did two days ago, this was the reason why I painted the one in my last post, because after having spent about two or three hours on that drawing I still wasn't happy with it and thought I could impossibly give it to someone I like, so I gave up and decided to try painting instead.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:33 am 

Romy, I love this drawing :f:. It's a beautifully-drawn portrait :clap:.
I would definitely give it wall space in my house :yes:.
Would love to see some more examples of your art...... :f:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:58 am 

Hi Romy, amazing! I like all the drawings, but the one of Titum you posted first for me has the most "künstlerische Reife" (don't know how to express in english), this is really high artwork!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:20 am 
Site Admin

Thank you very much, Orange and Franziska! :)

orangehoof wrote:
Romy, I love this drawing :f:. It's a beautifully-drawn portrait :clap:.
I would definitely give it wall space in my house :yes:.

Haha, I guess I should have sent it to you, because Eva put both pictures in a drawer and when I visited her the next time she could not even find them anymore under all the newspapers and things like that.

Here is one I made yesterday - postcard size. Such a pity that I can't get good pictures of them but have to use video stills, because when I make the video with more light there are those nasty reflections on the acrylic paint and when I make it in darkness the contrast and picture details become invisible. Maybe one day I should fix my scanner. :smile:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

Oh I love the cat paintings even better than the horse ones, so beautiful!
But then I am a sucker for cats :love:
And their attidute in your drawings... :applause:

Eva must have really loved her present! :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

Great that you liked the cat pictures. :) Compared to some of my other pictures I like them too, but still I wish I could paint a bit more like an artist instead of a naive little child. :funny: Another example of that is a CD cover I made for my friend Katrin this weekend - it seems like I just can't paint seriously :blush::

Josepha wrote:
Eva must have really loved her present! :)

Well, it didn't seem so. She said the cats were looking too serious and put them away into a drawer. Her sister and niece say it's useless to give her any presents at all because she's never happy about them anyway. But then they also think it's useless to spend time with her and take care of her emotional wellbeing altogether and I just do not agree. I don't know yet if she really didn't like the pictures or if 15 years of living alone have simply changed her social capabilities, but as long as I am not 100% sure, I won't stop giving little presents to her when I come for visits. :smile:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:17 pm 
Site Admin

Inspired by Machteld's drawings I started a new one some time ago, but had no chance to continue since then. But I am already posting the current state, just in case I will never finish it. ;)

Edit, May 2012: A little further but still not finished... at the moment I think the body still distracts too much from the head, which I will have to change one day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:43 am 

Glad to hear it's me inspiring you for a change in stead of the other way around :green:

I think your drawing is already lovely in the state it's in, Romy! I like the way it just fades and blends into the background, but I'm curious to see where you will go on from here. The head is beautifully done! I'm awed!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:32 pm 

VERY nice :love:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:45 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Machteld and Inge! :)

The weather is cold and wet today, so Nora and I are sitting inside, drawing pictures. Unfortunately I have no photocamera at the moment, so I can only make video stills that are blurry and make the pictures look very different from what they really look like. But at least you get an idea. :smile:

This is going to become a postcard for a friend

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:28 pm 

sooo beautiful

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you, Barbara! :)

And here is the second one for today: Pia's Israeli boyfriend, the big teacher in a tiny package

Anat, I know it doesn't look quite like him, but if you want the picture anyhow, just send me your address. :smile:

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Today I brought my instute's camera home, so I could make a decent picture - although I must say that the blurry version has its benefits as well, because it covers up my tendency to draw too much detail. ;)

Anyway, here is the high resolution version

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:05 pm 

OMG!
wohooo!!!
Romy i just now saw your posts, i'm so flattered and also so very happy and that Geronimo was an inspiration to your drawings.
i love it. :clap:
his little-big spirit captured in a beautiful painting.

he is such an inspiration to me, i'm still trying to be a good girl and not do much with my hand (today more X-rey to see if surgery is needed), but i did go to the trimming clinic - just to audit, was extremely interesting and educational but i was glad i didn't bring Geronimo with me, the horse handling that was part of their philosophy was all dominance based (NH). so this was all for the best, as to Geronimo, we went out yesterday for a very long walk and he was such a gentel-pony with me.

thank you so much. i love it, his brown star, the smart eyes, the lips, the fur. whaooo
yes please, do send it to me i'll be so honored to have it in so many ways, this is so generous of you. :kiss: thank you
will it be ok to post my address here?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

Glad that you like it. :)

anat wrote:
will it be ok to post my address here?

Either this or you can send it to me in a PM, if you don't want it to be on public internet.

...now there is only one problem: I wanted to remove all that white space which I did not like at all, so I started darkening the picture a bit. However, after a while I didn't know whether I wanted to complete it and if this would destroy the whole picture, so I stopped midway through. Now it looks like this:

I'd say I just send it to you as it is and when you have it, you can still take a pencil and finish (or a rubber and remove the background again, or cut it out ;)).

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:21 pm 

this is beautiful :applause: please dont stop, the contrast brought his face out, i wouldn't dare to touch it, this is both beautiful and emotional for me. i will frame it and put it up in my work room or over at the stalls.
it is lovely to see your painting documented at different stages they are like stories that unfold.

my address:
anat shalev
meged 37st.
p.o.b. 2018
pardes hanna
israel

i wish you can visit us in person one day, :pray:
...maybe some day at the Mediterranean AND meeting or at the first Israeli AND clinic (a woman can dream...) sending endless kisses :kiss:
anat

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:07 am 
Site Admin

anat wrote:
i wish you can visit us in person one day, :pray:
...maybe some day at the Mediterranean AND meeting or at the first Israeli AND clinic

Well, Israel isn't as far from me as for example America or Australia, so we can keep this as an option for some day not so far in the future. Please no clinic though, I have nothing to teach that I would take money for.

Here is your picture, I will bring it to the post office tomorrow. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:58 am 

whaooo, this IS BEAUTIFUL, :yes: the background adds in a way to the mystical atmosphere, i love the eyes and the way his gaze seems to be inwards, and the lips they look so gentle and relaxed.
thank you Romy, :kiss:
i will send pictures of it framed & hanged.

i do hope you come over and stay with us one day soon. i would love to learn so much from you and i think this would be priceless and surely worth paying for.

will you send us your address too? i want to send back some of our home-made horse treats as a more real (non virtual) way to say thank-you and share some play time with you and your little herd. i hope it will get to you fresh and that the horses will like our "special occasions" treats....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:53 pm 

I love the dark background in your last one. The first one turned out really nice as well! There's lots of feeling in your drawings. I must say I like them very much!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

A very belated thanks, Anat and Machteld. :)

Inspired by Nora, I also tried a little drawing today. Not finished yet, but Nora wants to go down to the horses now and I don't know yet when I will continue the drawing, so here it is in its the current state.

A little later...

And that's it for today, I will probably continue next weekend

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:13 am 

Wow, Romy, great! I think, you have a completely different way to draw (horses) than me, so strong and very expressive. :clap:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:24 am 
Site Admin

Thanks, Lena! :)

TakeItEasy wrote:
I think, you have a completely different way to draw (horses) than me

What is that with you these days, always saying what I was thinking just before? I thought about the same thing while I was sitting in the bus this morning, that we are drawing so differently and that I could never make drawings that are as cute and soft and harmonious as yours. :smile:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:34 am 

Romy wrote:
What is that with you these days, always saying what I was thinking just before?

It's magic...? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

A drawing of the big Pan pony, which I used as Lena's birthday card.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:12 am 

Romy wrote:
A drawing of the big Pan pony, which I used as Lena's birthday card.

The most beautiful present that I have got, Romy! :f:
And with a suitable frame it will get a special place at my desk. Thus I will have my Ponychild near by me all the time. :sun:

Thank you so much, my Dear! :kiss:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:35 pm 

ROMY :ieks: :clap:

I love this! :sun:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you, Lena, Ikebana and Karen! :)

This evening I added another one to my collection of probably never to be finished attempts. :f:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:11 pm 

:clap:

Every line in your drawings are full of movements and energy - just like you. ;)
Pity, that you won't finish it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Lena! :) Our discussion about drawing has really made me think. This is also why I was questioning you so much about what drawing is for you, because this is helping me to better understand what it is for me. For me drawing is not about the picture - which probably is the reason why I hardly ever finish a drawing. If someone asked me to tear it into pieces now, I would not mind doing so, even when I like a picture. This is because once the picture is there, the thing that matters for me is over already.

For me drawing is about the process of doing it. It's about learning about the characteristics of the lines and the shadows, and the effects of my actions as they are reflected in the picture. In a way, for me drawing is just like playing with the horses or children, or like working on my research, or working with you. It's a way for me to put all I have into what I am currently doing, regardless of what will come out of it. Somehow this very process of fully engaging in an activity is what makes me feel alive. Reminds me of something my mother always said: It does not matter what you are doing in life - what matters is that you are doing it well. :f:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

I am always telling the girls that the most difficult motifs are the best, because even though your drawing might look a bit funny, you are learning most from it. But then of course I have to follow my own advice as well and draw the pictures that are least likely to become a success. So here we go. :funny:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:57 am 

I really like how you motivate Nora and Nelly to draw. And the outcome is wonderful!
I remember when I was in Norway at Dreamvalley, we spent a lot of time sitting in the grass, overlooking a herd of about 15 Iclelandics and trying to draw them with pastels. It was a very nice challenge. Maybe I will look through what we draw then and see if I can post one of those. I only remember that I was not very good at capturing the horses movement and character when I was thinking about copying the visual image before me. Only when I was thinking in terms of direction, strength or purpose of the movement, my attempts got a bit better.
I found that drawing is so close to interacting with horses in so many ways. It is, once again, one of those 'letting go' topics that I encounter so often around horses. I needed to let go of my rational brain and try to process every input with my emotional brain first. What's more, I had to let go of my perfectionism and my constant inner critic - things that won't come easy for me...

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Volker! Indeed, for me drawing is just like playing with horses in so many ways - and I am so glad that I don't have to worry about anything along the lines of "Will the picture be beautiful? And artistic? And if not, what does this say about me?" I guess if I had to do this, I could not draw any energetic line and my pictures would look like I did not actually dare to draw (which indeed they looked like in my youth).

At the moment Nora and I are trying acrylic colors. Work in progress... :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:39 pm 

Wow!!!!!! That's very nice picture... I love your art style of doing :love: . Incidentally, I've got new pictures drawing at home. One picture is a women, the second picture is an eye and the last picture is a manga.

bye nelly :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Mrs. Nelly! Looking forward to seeing your new pictures! :kiss:

I have continued a little bit, although I am not sure this made it any better. That's a general problem I have with painting, always doing too much so that I end up with a detailed picture (although we aren't quite there with this one, yet) but no expression.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:26 am 

Very interesting colour composition... As I drawed I saw exactly these blue in Cola's fur which you used here with the acrylics. I like the first, unfinished one you painted especially. :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, sweetie! The choice of the colour was rather spontaneous: I told Nora that I would have to see whether I have enough of the colours I need, and then made a joke that if not I could also paint him in blue - and then we realized that this wasn't such a bad idea, so I just took the blue and a bit of white, and that was it. :smile:

This evening I have continued your drawing. Is it okay that way or do you want me to change anything?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:06 am 

See, it's not so bad, isn't it? :D Now it looks perfectly for me. :f:
Especially I like his left hindleg and the convex neck-shape.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks! :kiss: You will get it tomorrow, if I don't forget it.

Inspired by Mrs. Nelly, I tried Titum's eye, too.

And somewhat more my own style... work in progress :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:35 am 

Your all pictures are soooo nice and beautiful and I like all :love:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:05 pm 

Quote:

Hey Romy, I really love that one. It is just perfect to me. You really captured the movement and the energy there...
And Titums eye is great, as well. I like, that I can see every detail in there (maybe the camera was very near to the picture, because it is smaller than the others...).
Your "Strich" is very interesting, generally. One can see it clearly in the works in progress for example.

To me, art is amongst others, about getting into what you really love, what you re interested in and what you re inspired by. That makes art authentic to me.
And in your case, your love for details and energy makes your pictures so special.
Anyway, all your drawings seem to be as powerful, as, I reckon, you are... :D

I like your idea of doing the same picture one time like Lena, then like Nelly, then like Romy and so on...
Everybody draws so nicely different, in here.
This action will broaden everybody s horizon, I suppose...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you, Dani! :kiss:

Yogini wrote:
Hey Romy, I really love that one. It is just perfect to me. You really captured the movement and the energy there...

You can take it home when you will visit us in May. :smile:

I am not so sure about these ballpoint pen drawings. Some years ago I had a friend, Katja, who also was my art teacher at school, and we were often talking about my drawings, or drawing in general. I have learned so much from her, not necessarily about technique but about the process of drawing in general. For example, she always quoted her professor at art college who said "Never be afraid to mess up your own artwork!" Although this may sound simple, it was a huge relief for me. It allowed me to become experimental, because I stopped being concerned about the result. In that way my drawing style changed from overly careful, light and static miniatures to the movement studies I am doing now.

Anyway, with regard to the ballpoint pen drawings, Katja told me that she thought I should not do this. This was weird, because usually she was all about encouraging people to experiment and develop their own style. But in this case she said this technique increased my natural tendency to become rigid. I am drawing with a ballpoint pen anyway if I want to, because I don't really care what it is doing to my stlye. But I do feel it, and although the thin and multidirectional lines are very good at covering it, I can see the rigidity in the drawings as well.

Yogini wrote:
To me, art is amongst others, about getting into what you really love, what you re interested in and what you re inspired by. That makes art authentic to me.
And in your case, your love for details and energy makes your pictures so special.

Hm, the detail thing is a difficult one for me. Indeed, I do love detail, but at the same time I totally don't love exact reproductions. So for me the challenge is to use the detail to make a point which often is another one than that of the model. Another thing that really interests me in drawings (and life in general ;)) is contrasts, and playing with different degrees of contrast on a local to global scale. I just love to find out how I have to vary the lightness and darkness of small details (e.g. in a particular muscle) to set a local focus, of bigger features (e.g. the higher versus lower part of a face) to set an intermediate focus and of whole sections of the drawing to direct the attention on a global scale. If I am only focusing on local contrast (which is what happens to me when I try to be exact), all the details might look nice, but if I look at the picture from a distance, it is just one unitary sauce and looks boring as a whole. So my interest is in drawing pictures that are expressive on different levels, and this is something where I see lots of potential for improvement, to put it positively. 8)

Yogini wrote:
I like your idea of doing the same picture one time like Lena, then like Nelly, then like Romy and so on...

Yes, I am looking forward to that (although I am especially curious what the "like Romy" version will be for me :funny:).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:13 pm 

Quote:
Anyway, with regard to the ballpoint pen drawings, Katja told me that she thought I should not do this. This was weird, because usually she was all about encouraging people to experiment and develop their own style. But in this case she said this technique increased my natural tendency to become rigid.

Well, I don t see rigidity in this picture at all... I see rather wildness and sharpness of the lines. It is funny, because my art teacher would make me do ballpen drawings, because he found it was releasing and liberating me. I go quite wild, with a ballpen, which is maybe, why I perceive this picture as wild. And afterwards, I could enjoy and apply the sensitivity and the possibilities of pencils much more again.

Quote:
You can take it home when you will visit us in May. :smile:

You re so great, Romy... :D Yes, I will do that, thank you. :f:
And then, I will have a close look at it, concerning the "Strich"... :D

Quote:
I just love to find out how I have to vary the lightness and darkness of small details (e.g. in a particular muscle) to set a local focus, of bigger features (e.g. the higher versus lower part of a face) to set an intermediate focus and of whole sections of the drawing to direct the attention on a global scale. If I am only focusing on local contrast (which is what happens to me when I try to be exact), all the details might look nice, but if I look at the picture from a distance, it is just one unitary sauce and looks boring as a whole.

This is indeed one of the main problems of studies, in my opinion. My teacher made me walk back very, very often, and he made me look with slitted eyes without focusing on one point. That helped a lot. He teached me, not to go into details, in the beginning. He made me grasp the whole, but I had to start it from inside (not to start with an outer line, but an inside form), then I had to work myself to the outer parts very scetchy. Then I could slightly go into light and shades, but first of all briefly. When all was done, I was allowed to start details, but I should never loose the whole, when I worked on a detail, so he allways called me back, especially in that phase. That worked fine with me to not get the unity sauce...
I actually love your work in progresses, because the unfinished parts oppose the elaborated in a nice way. That is, what my teacher wouldn t like me to do in studies. But as an artifice, it is very exciting to me.
What a pity, could exchange for ages now, but I have to leave...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

Yogini wrote:
Well, I don t see rigidity in this picture at all... I see rather wildness and sharpness of the lines.

Like contrast, rigidity also exists on different levels, I think. What the ballpoint pen does is that it makes me very loose and spontaneous on some level, but rigid at other ones. It feels like a fruit fly that is caught in a glass, swirling around and banging against the walls. The swirling itself might still be very wild, but drawing in this way locks my movements to a rather small range in all of its parameters like amplitude, pressure, speed, and so on. In contrast to that, I feel like the pencil allows me so much more gradual variation during the movement itself - a bit like the encouraging politeness body language where you continuously adjust to the horse. ;)

Your process of drawing sounds very interesting! I have found that I am always starting at a particular place on the sheet (in the middle of the top left quadrant), no matter what part of the horse is located in that area. Then I make a rather sketchy outline just to make sure that I am getting the proportions right, and then I move on to drawing the most interesting (high contrast) parts, and skip between several of these areas in the picture. The level of detail to which I progress during these periods usually depends on how long I find it interesting. After drawing in one area for a while, I am starting to be much more interested in another area, so I move on to that one and then come back to the previous area later.

Yogini wrote:
I actually love your work in progresses, because the unfinished parts oppose the elaborated in a nice way.

Me too, which is one of the reasons why I prefer not to finish my drawings. I feel like they always become less interesting during the process.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:02 am 
Site Admin

Romy wrote:
It allowed me to become experimental, because I stopped being concerned about the result. In that way my drawing style changed from overly careful, light and static miniatures to the movement studies I am doing now.

When I was writing this, I thought I could post some of my early drawings from that time when I was drawing so carefully. I did them between the age of 13 and 15. Back then I perceived the second horse as quite extreme, and totally not my way but just a crazy experiment. :funny:

I also have lots of drawings from a time when I got obsessed with drawing, made at least one drawing a day and traded all my focus on detail for chaotic lines.

The funny thing is that although many people looked at me with that "How can you!?" :ieks: look when seeing the development from nice, detailed drawings to crazy scribblings, I am much more emotionally attached to some of the drawings from the second set. When I look at them, I get that fuzzy feeling, whereas from the first set all except the last one mean nothing to me. Perhaps I am just a person who needs chaos. :smile:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:36 am 

Quote:
What the ballpoint pen does is that it makes me very loose and spontaneous on some level, but rigid at other ones. It feels like a fruit fly that is caught in a glass, swirling around and banging against the walls. The swirling itself might still be very wild, but drawing in this way locks my movements to a rather small range in all of its parameters like amplitude, pressure, speed, and so on. In contrast to that, I feel like the pencil allows me so much more gradual variation during the movement itself - a bit like the encouraging politeness body language where you continuously adjust to the horse. ;)

That is very interesting. And I can understand, why you seem to be ambivalent, concerning the ballpen drawings. To me drawing like that, is rather like dancing to a peace of "Rage against the Machine": I can really go into it and get crazy and all my cells dance and I love it, though it is full of anger and agression. I feel like I can let out all collected emotions, like amongst others those mentioned. That doesn t influence my fine and arty dance in a bad way, though. It may even supports it, because I can afterwards enjoy the subtle things again, much more. When I was still actively dancing, to dance on that kind of music, sometimes even helped me, to come to a new conclusion. For example, when working on dance pieces, we would use this kind of music in the working process, to get us into the mood of a choreo for example, which we danced in the end on classical stuff or experimental, or minimal or so ...

Wow, Romy, your old pictures are also very interesting. To study like that with 13 to 15 is impressing. It is a pity that I don t have my pictures of my child days anymore. I was also obsessed with drawing. In the first series, you already saw so many details. For example, the two old men, in the end are great facial studies, I think.
Tha second series is wonderful, I wish, I could size up the pictures.. I love the lines of the first picture, but they are all just my cup of tea... The thing about the chaos inside a structure is to me, that it isn t just a chaos anymore, but an inspiring combination, which is art, I love... To me, in my pictures, all the lines, which seem to be chaotic on a first view, still make sense. It seems to me the same in your pictures, though I cant see them properly, because they are so small. Maybe, when I come in may.... :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:31 pm 
Site Admin

Your 'Rage against the Machine dancing' is what I sometimes do with a unsharpened 8B pencil, but not at all with a ballpoint pen. I think I'll give it a try, though. :alien:

Yogini wrote:
Tha second series is wonderful, I wish, I could size up the pictures..

I have uploaded some of them for you, but I am only posting the link to my Photobucket album so that I won't fill up the thread with old pics. ;) Hope you can see them (at least on my computer Photobucket often is a bit moody).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:57 am 

Quote:
Your 'Rage against the Machine dancing' is what I sometimes do with a unsharpened 8B pencil, but not at all with a ballpoint pen. I think I'll give it a try, though. :alien:

And that is really funny to me, now. :D
My teacher told me not to use a pencil softer, than 2B... I completely forgot about that actually, and the possibility to use soft pencils, generally slipped out of my conciousness...I just never use soft pencils, the reason for this just went out of my awareness. I just never questioned it again... My teacher said back then, that I have this kind of very sensitive line (mainly outer lines), that uses all the range from light to dark, in a sensitive way. But my line imparts too much the impression of weakness, when I use pencils softer than 2B, and even that one, I have to use with much care... He said, he wouldn t like me to change my line, but rather gave me this advice. So funny, that it just came to my mind again, when I read your post.

I will have to try your "rage against the machine dance" version, though... maybe I will discover something inspiring... :D

Thanks for the uploads. I am looking forward to visit your photo bucket in some hours... have to do a job first...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:11 am 
Site Admin

Yogini wrote:
My teacher told me not to use a pencil softer, than 2B... I completely forgot about that actually, and the possibility to use soft pencils, generally slipped out of my conciousness...

:funny: I always use the softest ones I can get, so almost all of my drawings are done with an 8B, sometimes 7B or 6B if all the 8Bs are used by the children. For the drawing below I used a 4B for the first time, because I anticipated that this would make it easier for me to keep the contrast low.

I am putting the unfinished version of my Pan drawing from the Drawing like someone else thread here, because it still has a lot of "me" in it