The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:24 am 
Site Admin

Thanks, Lena! :)

TakeItEasy wrote:
I think, you have a completely different way to draw (horses) than me

What is that with you these days, always saying what I was thinking just before? I thought about the same thing while I was sitting in the bus this morning, that we are drawing so differently and that I could never make drawings that are as cute and soft and harmonious as yours. :smile:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:34 am 

Romy wrote:
What is that with you these days, always saying what I was thinking just before?

It's magic...? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

A drawing of the big Pan pony, which I used as Lena's birthday card.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:12 am 

Romy wrote:
A drawing of the big Pan pony, which I used as Lena's birthday card.

The most beautiful present that I have got, Romy! :f:
And with a suitable frame it will get a special place at my desk. Thus I will have my Ponychild near by me all the time. :sun:

Thank you so much, my Dear! :kiss:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:35 pm 

ROMY :ieks: :clap:

I love this! :sun:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you, Lena, Ikebana and Karen! :)

This evening I added another one to my collection of probably never to be finished attempts. :f:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:11 pm 

:clap:

Every line in your drawings are full of movements and energy - just like you. ;)
Pity, that you won't finish it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Lena! :) Our discussion about drawing has really made me think. This is also why I was questioning you so much about what drawing is for you, because this is helping me to better understand what it is for me. For me drawing is not about the picture - which probably is the reason why I hardly ever finish a drawing. If someone asked me to tear it into pieces now, I would not mind doing so, even when I like a picture. This is because once the picture is there, the thing that matters for me is over already.

For me drawing is about the process of doing it. It's about learning about the characteristics of the lines and the shadows, and the effects of my actions as they are reflected in the picture. In a way, for me drawing is just like playing with the horses or children, or like working on my research, or working with you. It's a way for me to put all I have into what I am currently doing, regardless of what will come out of it. Somehow this very process of fully engaging in an activity is what makes me feel alive. Reminds me of something my mother always said: It does not matter what you are doing in life - what matters is that you are doing it well. :f:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

I am always telling the girls that the most difficult motifs are the best, because even though your drawing might look a bit funny, you are learning most from it. But then of course I have to follow my own advice as well and draw the pictures that are least likely to become a success. So here we go. :funny:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:57 am 

I really like how you motivate Nora and Nelly to draw. And the outcome is wonderful!
I remember when I was in Norway at Dreamvalley, we spent a lot of time sitting in the grass, overlooking a herd of about 15 Iclelandics and trying to draw them with pastels. It was a very nice challenge. Maybe I will look through what we draw then and see if I can post one of those. I only remember that I was not very good at capturing the horses movement and character when I was thinking about copying the visual image before me. Only when I was thinking in terms of direction, strength or purpose of the movement, my attempts got a bit better.
I found that drawing is so close to interacting with horses in so many ways. It is, once again, one of those 'letting go' topics that I encounter so often around horses. I needed to let go of my rational brain and try to process every input with my emotional brain first. What's more, I had to let go of my perfectionism and my constant inner critic - things that won't come easy for me...

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Volker! Indeed, for me drawing is just like playing with horses in so many ways - and I am so glad that I don't have to worry about anything along the lines of "Will the picture be beautiful? And artistic? And if not, what does this say about me?" I guess if I had to do this, I could not draw any energetic line and my pictures would look like I did not actually dare to draw (which indeed they looked like in my youth).

At the moment Nora and I are trying acrylic colors. Work in progress... :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:39 pm 

Wow!!!!!! That's very nice picture... I love your art style of doing :love: . Incidentally, I've got new pictures drawing at home. One picture is a women, the second picture is an eye and the last picture is a manga.

bye nelly :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Mrs. Nelly! Looking forward to seeing your new pictures! :kiss:

I have continued a little bit, although I am not sure this made it any better. That's a general problem I have with painting, always doing too much so that I end up with a detailed picture (although we aren't quite there with this one, yet) but no expression.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:26 am 

Very interesting colour composition... As I drawed I saw exactly these blue in Cola's fur which you used here with the acrylics. I like the first, unfinished one you painted especially. :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, sweetie! The choice of the colour was rather spontaneous: I told Nora that I would have to see whether I have enough of the colours I need, and then made a joke that if not I could also paint him in blue - and then we realized that this wasn't such a bad idea, so I just took the blue and a bit of white, and that was it. :smile:

This evening I have continued your drawing. Is it okay that way or do you want me to change anything?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next