The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: TitSumPiBa videos
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:18 pm 
Site Admin

For answering the anti-spam question when registering in the forum: These are the names of my horses: Titum, Summy, Pia, Baca

In this thread I will post most of your videos. To see them all in one place, you can also visit our Youtube account.

The early videos were uploaded with Photobucket, which for some reasons deleted all of them so that none of the old video links works anymore. This is why I have deleted the first few pages of this thread, until I started using youtube.

Last edited by Romy on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:59 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

Here is an illustration how NOT do do canter pirouettes. I am too slow due to the muddy ground, so that I always stand in Titum´s way. The first jump is okay, the second already gets worse and the third is impossible because of my position so that he turns around with his hindquarters instead...

Failed canter pirouettes

I am waiting so much for the ground to become dry again...

Oh, and I was a little bit rude with Summy and chase him away, because he had attacked and bitten Titum just before while we were training. Attacks while I am between them is one of the few absolutely forbidden things.

Post subject: Summy´s videos
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

I thought that Summy should have his own video topic too so that we can watch his development from a wild and crazy teddy bear to a proud and energetic dressage pony one day far in the future... ;)

The jumping around video from last month:

Crazy Summy

and a tiny little bit of circling work from this morning:

Summy circles

After a lot of walking and trotting with the nose at the ground, we are starting to walk more upwards and with the head bent to the inside now. I have to be careful to keep the circles bigger so that he can really walk on them (unlike in the last scene).

And another one from this morning: we practise rearing and moving away when he is too close to me.

Summy rearing and my personal space

I only tell him (verbally) that he is too close instead of asking him to go backwards, because I hope that in this way he won´t see it as an extra exercise to go backwards, but as an all-time-favourable (and rewarded ;)) position to be about one meter away from me during this kind of work. So I just stand there and do nothing until he moves away by himself.

The rears themselves have become much worse than they have been in the beginning - more like bumping onto the forehand. We´ll work on getting them back on the hindquarters as soon as we have learned to rear when I stand at his shoulder.

Oh, and sorry about the grass. It´s in the way a little bit... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:44 pm 

I don't remember whether Summy is a stallion or not? regardless, he gets a little...uhm...excited in training, doesn't he? :roll:

He is also learning head down? He tries so hard to figure out what will get him the reward! Lovely!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:50 pm 

But they haven't failed!!! Oh! They are so close! It will be a wonderful movement when Titum figures it out. I love it!

I can see so clearly what you mean by timing and that invisible thread that connects you to the horse. This is a wonderful illustration of that.

Summy is so funny...and when you are chasing him away, Titum is busy practicing jambettes behind you :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

Well, he thinks that he is a stallion for sure. But it has become so much better already. Now his penis just hangs out most of the time, but is not erected anymore in most situations. Also the constant nickering has stopped and he is only nickering now when he does something that has to do with being proud, like walking with a flexed poll (we are just starting with that). The steam train breathing has stopped completely, as well as the squirting, and he doesn´t think that I am his mare anymore... yes, once I really got the feeling that he wanted to jump on me - grunting like a boar and pushing himself towards me. Now he already is sooo calm compared to some weeks ago. But we have a long way to go until he will be really relaxed.

Oh, and taking the head down was the key to get along with all that - my rescue exercise. ;)

More videos of Summy have been (and will be) posted in Titum´s and Summy´s video topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks so much, Karen!! But I think that it´s not Titum who has to figure it out, it´s me. Because as we are doing it in the video, he CAN´T do it correctly, because I am in his way. It was so helpful for me to see this in the video. While we were training, I just had the feeling that nothing worked today and that it was just a bad day for us. But when I watched the video, it became so obvious to me that his reactions are completely logical. If he had done it correctly, he would have bumped into me or overtaken me. So in order to go with my movement then without flooring me ;), he HAS TO move away the hindquarters...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Just a little riding with Summy. Unfortunately the battery of the camera was empty after some time so that the canter part is missing. Maybe I will make another one tomorrow. :)

I already posted those in Titum´s diary, but I wanted to put them here as well:

Titum playing in the pond and just walking and exploring the landscape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:43 am 

Oh Romy!

GREAT videos! Titum is so cool! Man he just figures things out, eh? There's a LOT of try in that guy!! Loved them all, such wonderful experiences for both of you, and gives me lots of good ideas..like simply going for walks <G>!!! Duh...

Thanks so much for sharing!

Brenda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:47 am 
Site Admin

Thank you very much, Brenda. And thank you as well for the nice entry in Titum´s diary. I am so happy for you and Lucy that going for a walk went so well.

Here is another thing that is terribly much fun to do: Summy on our cycling tour.

Franca wants to come this or next week and if we go cycling I will film her and Summy so that you can see more than just the head. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:53 am 
Site Admin

I have already posted it in Titum´s diary, but here it is as well: a video of our cycling tour in the evening sun yesterday. Three minutes of nothing but running Titum, I hope you are not bored. :lol:

P.S.: I changed the video link, because photobucket deleted it. This one is much shorter, alas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:01 pm 

Oh, three minutes is not too long to watch such a beautiful horse!!! In fact it's quite mesmerizing...the rhythm of it...you can imagine yourself there, on the bike with him! It's lovely!

I love how he arches his neck a the trot.

He looks so different in the summer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Karen!! :D

This morning I made a little video of Titum´s tiger rears. It´s the third day that we are practising this now and it´s already getting much better - what a difference to the small Titum-hops. Not that I want to give them up, I´d like to keep both. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:01 pm 

WOW, Romy!

The last one - where he held it for a moment with one front leg extended - gorgeous! What a special boy Titum is!

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:26 am 

Oh, I have to wait until Monday to see it...but the photo looks amazing!

Today, for the first time, Tam did a little hop with both front feet...one very tucked under him and one more down...but still it is a start, finally!

What I did was to ask him to do his collected canter in hand, then I tickled his belly (the same way I do for piaffe) and he did a little hop. I tried once more, and he did it again. I'm so thrilled!

I couldn't get him to rear with the tiger at all. He would just stretch his neck waaaaay up. :lol:

I can't wait to see your new video!