The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:09 pm 

I have recently made friends with a lady who does a lot of dog training. Anyway, she was talking about the use of mimicry in conjunction with her clicker training and I started raving about AND :D because I think we use quite a bit of mimicry when we are just communicating with our horses in a very 'free flowing' way. She asked me if there were any videos she could see, and so far I've found the wonderful video of Nora and Pia 'climbing walls together', and the 'bears don't dig on dancing' one... I haven't looked for very long, but can any of you point out any more good examples of mimicry in AND?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Sunny, I'll give you some links next week - just have no time at all now as I am getting prepared for visiting Ali from tomorrow till Sunday... :f:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:01 pm 

Oooh cool - I can't wait to hear how you guys get on! I so so so so so wish I could come!! Life is a little hectic (to say the least) at the moment though and I haven't got enough money for my ponies at the moment, let alone travelling to the other side of the uk :sad:. I'd love to soo much though. I'm hoping next year I can join in - either coming to Germany or if you come back here. :f:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:37 pm 

Oh it is such a shame you cant make it :sad: , it would be so nice to have you . You are always welcome to come when you can though :smile:

As far as mimicry videos ,
For us mimicry plays a huge part in what me and MrC do , all of the ' language ' that we have is based around mimicry or mirror mimicry ( opposite movements ) . But in all the videos I have of us together I cant say we are doing mimicry here at a specific point as on quite a few of our mimicry cues ,I have made my movements to small to be pointed out as mimicry . As our sensitivity to each others movements grew earlier this year , I found it so interesting how the smaller my mimicry movements very the larger and more expressive his became . I suppose you could take a video of jambettes and show this as the basis mimicry , leg lifts . But I could also take a video of the Compliment and call this mimicry ,as the cue is bowing yourself , but there are many smaller beginning movements that made up the bow .
I shall link some Videos , when I find them again . As I have forgotten the names of them :roll:
Nice to ' read ' from you again ,
Hugs Ali :kiss:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:22 pm 

Thanks Ali :D.

It sounds like you guys are doing so well! I really have some catching up to do on everybody's diaries etc!

You're right - the thing that I struggled with when trying to get some videos together on mimicry, is that I think sometimes like you say, once we have fine tuned our own body language, the cues become very small. That beginning process is absolutely brilliant though isn't it, when you and your horse begin to mirror each other beautifully.

I hope you and Romy have a wonderful wonderful time. I would so love to meet everybody!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:40 am 

I know it's a bit late for replying to this post, but nevertheless...

I love doing mimicry stuff and especially our mare Lily is loving it too :green:. We had a meeting of several people who do clicker training and experimented with Lily and mimicry - you can see a video of it here in my video thread.

The horse owes us nothing.