The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Clicker Training Gaucho
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:17 pm 

Gaucho ( Gman ) has always been difficult to lead so I free shaped loose lead with the clicker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=253AWuwYFGM

Cherokee Saying

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:07 am 

Very nice to watch! That's basically what I did with Mucki.
May I ask why Gaucho was difficult to lead? Was he too pushy or didn't he come along?

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:50 am 
Site Admin

Nice indeed! :f: Looks like you two are much more in tune, and you also seem to be more "with him". I am sure that with time the rest of the tension will also dissolve. You are doing a great job! :)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:30 pm 

Houyhnhnm wrote:
Very nice to watch! That's basically what I did with Mucki.
May I ask why Gaucho was difficult to lead? Was he too pushy or didn't he come along?

He would zone out, mentally leave and stand staring into the distance with a far away look in his eyes. If you tried to get him to engage he would become very anxious and sart biting himself and if you persisted bite you but he never moved his feet, as though frozen to the ground.

Cherokee Saying

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:32 pm 

Romy wrote:
Nice indeed! :f: Looks like you two are much more in tune, and you also seem to be more "with him". I am sure that with time the rest of the tension will also dissolve. You are doing a great job! :)

Thanks Romy :yes: his energy feels much better more relaxed and friendly :smile:

Cherokee Saying

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:22 pm 

wouw, great you have made a big progress.
handsome boy :yes:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

ET wrote:
He would zone out, mentally leave and stand staring into the distance with a far away look in his eyes. If you tried to get him to engage he would become very anxious and sart biting himself and if you persisted bite you but he never moved his feet, as though frozen to the ground.

This sounds like Owen, apart from the biting himself part... especially when I try to work on something new. He still shuts down like that.
After watching the video I was reminded of O even more, wow! Also the way he sort of shuts off and then later is agressively in your space. I love how you handled that Eileen!

Owen has come such a long way that I forgot lately how disturbed he once was. As soon when I forget where he is coming from he has a relaps.... So no in hand work anymore and back to free play. :yes:

I shall post your video for my students. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:20 pm 

inge wrote:

Lovely to hear from you Inge, :f: I try to keep updated on your blog, you guys certainly lead interesting lives. :yes: :smile:

Cherokee Saying

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:21 pm 

Josepha wrote:
ET wrote:

This sounds like Owen, apart from the biting himself part... especially when I try to work on something new. He still shuts down like that.
After watching the video I was reminded of O even more, wow! Also the way he sort of shuts off and then later is agressively in your space. I love how you handled that Eileen!

Owen has come such a long way that I forgot lately how disturbed he once was. As soon when I forget where he is coming from he has a relaps.... So no in hand work anymore and back to free play. :yes:

I shall post your video for my students. :)

Dear Josepha and O you will be our inspiration :f: when the going gets tough we will think of you :smile:

Cherokee Saying

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:57 pm 

ET wrote:
inge wrote:

Lovely to hear from you Inge, :f: I try to keep updated on your blog, you guys certainly lead interesting lives. :yes: :smile:

sorry bit late answer, i have lack of time to come here often. :blush:
what a honour that you read my blog. Although i quit to translate it in english.
maybe i have to do that again???

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:48 pm 

Teaching relaxation on a circle with my PRE mare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... LPBwwyfZmo

Cherokee Saying

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:25 pm 

Do you want to tell us a bit more about what we can see on the video? I'd be interested in some more infos, if you want to share ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:50 pm 

Houyhnhnm wrote:
Do you want to tell us a bit more about what we can see on the video? I'd be interested in some more infos, if you want to share ;)

Hi Volker,

I have been teaching Dida lots of small exercises and yesterday was the first time we put them all together. So even though it was a bit messy in places I was really pleased with how calm and focused she stayed :yes:

She used to panic and run if anything in the environment upset her so I wanted to help her find her calm centre. We started with walk on a small circle and then added the change of rein and this worked very well for her. Once I had a consistent calm I then asked for trot, in trot I have taught her to stretch forward and down again to relax.

This was all taught with the clicker initially, but she marks the treat pouch and at times the click startled her so we now use clickless treats.

Hope that helps. :smile:

Eileen

Cherokee Saying

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:30 am 

Thank you for the details, Eileen. Getting an attentive calmness in a horse can be a challenge, as I experience over and over ;)

ET wrote:
This was all taught with the clicker initially, but she marks the treat pouch and at times the click startled her so we now use clickless treats.
Have you tried using a verbal marker? It worked well with the pony we worked with who was very upset at first by the clicker sound. Also conditioning to the sound first on the pasture worked well. The clicker often produces some pretty strong reverberation in closed areas and beside walls.
I find it hard to do lunge work with no marker sound, as basically the stopping and walking towards the horse becomes the cue and every time the stopping and turning is what gets reinforced, but not the actual behaviour I wanted to strengthen. Does it work for you that way?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:16 pm 

Houyhnhnm wrote:
Thank you for the details, Eileen. Getting an attentive calmness in a horse can be a challenge, as I experience over and over ;)

ET wrote:
Have you tried using a verbal marker? It worked well with the pony we worked with who was very upset at first by the clicker sound. Also conditioning to the sound first on the pasture worked well. The clicker often produces some pretty strong reverberation in closed areas and beside walls.
I find it hard to do lunge work with no marker sound, as basically the stopping and walking towards the horse becomes the cue and every time the stopping and turning is what gets reinforced, but not the actual behaviour I wanted to strengthen. Does it work for you that way?

Getting attentive calmness is a challenge so yes I know what you mean and some horses are harder than others.

One of the other horses is very reactive to the click and so I introduced yes as a marker, however after a while he became just as reactive to the yes.

Sometimes with Dida I use a tongue click and if I only do this once or twice she is okay. I am still working on the lunge work Volker but I think I might be able to reinforce the actual behaviour by careful use of body language.

The marker I use is my hand moving towards the treat bag, for the one that becomes over excited I would freeze my hand and only move it again when he showed calm. He soon understood that the only way his treat would arrive was if he remained calm. This also worked well for lead as he walked calmly with me I would move my hand to the treat pouch.

I'm hoping this will carry through into the lunge work but I am still experimenting so it is early days. :smile:

Try this link http://stalecheerios.com/animal-trainin ... nic-notes/

Go to the year 2009 and read Steve Martins talk I think there is some mention of clickless treats.

Cherokee Saying