The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:29 pm 

Barbara, I haven't put it in the research section...I will do it if no one else has. Good idea!

On bending with our horse, it's really funny but I played with tam just a tiny bit last night, and it was so clear that I couldn't give Tam the normal body language signals he is used to. My ribs hrt a lot yesterday, so I could only bend well in one direction. Basically, I was moving quite stiffly...and so was Tam! He was even counter bent a little on a circle to the left, because I couldn't bend to the left either.

It was absolutely fascinating! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:12 pm 

A new video... I'm starting to feel some improvement in our riding, Beau is searching for the right place for his body and we are testing a lot of things, turning is sometimes difficult, but transitions are going well

I'm very proud!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:53 pm 

And so you should be! Looking great! He stretches down so far! :lol: When Freckles does that I feel as if I can fall forward so easily!

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:03 pm 

If I let him he'll trot around with his head to the ground, I was just trying to feel him with my reins :)

I really had to get used to him stretching his short neck down, I'm only used to big horses :) But now it feels ok :)
I hope I'll get the canter going in the next 2 months so we can be relaxed at all 3 gaits...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:55 pm 

Looks great!!! Wow, lots of improvement....

What do you use on his head? A rope-halter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:59 pm 

yes, I went back to a rope halter and at the moment he feels great with it. I still have my dr cook but I don't use it, but I do not want to keep buying things when he is riding well in the rope halter, I just do not know how precise it is, but I want to ride very lightly in my reins so I guess it does not really matter what I use.

Or do you disagree? I am still wondering about this thing.

Thank you for the compliments by the way :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:18 pm 

No, I agree... I am more about to start with reins again myself... Have ordered for a cavesson, but it will take some time... In the meantime (when I am able to ride again) I'll use a regular halter.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:42 pm 

Barbara wrote:
I still have my dr cook but I don't use it,

What I heard the Dr. Cook does not offer instant release. So I would not use it either. But maybe you can adjust the Dr. Cooks bridle into a sidepull style bridle.
That would be better than the rope halter and you would not have wasted the money for the Dr. Cooks bridle :wink:
Maybe a shoemaker or saddlery could even put a strap, so the halter can't move towards the eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:17 pm 

I have used the dr cook as a sidepull by removing the throat lash and putting on another and then attaching the reins to the 2 rings at the side. But I still have the feeling Beau likes the rope halter better, I'll have to test some more...

Anyone else have some experiences?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:24 am 

I have never tried a rope halpter, but it is true the Dr. Cook don't release well. With the cross under it may fasten. "Everybody" knows that... ;)

But I guess that if you are just on a track, and only stear lightly from time to time there is no trouble. But I like better the reins in the rings....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:35 am 

Kirsti wrote:
I have never tried a rope halpter, but it is true the Dr. Cook don't release well. With the cross under it may fasten. "Everybody" knows that... ;)

i am dissagree with you :wink: i am riding with a Cook for many years and havo no problem with the release at all. By both of my pony's and do not have any problems with their beard during the winter.
I think ,and have seen, now a lot of horses who riding with a original Cook that it depends sometimes on the shape of the horses head.
Then how the rider uses the bridle and the reaction of the horse.

For example my horse don't know a bit, when i started to train my horse i wanted to use a rope halter.
But it did not work, everytime i put the halter on, he get mad. And i did not even thouch it at all.
i reconise after a few times that he did not like the rope on his nose it was tickling.
So i started to use a stable halter and that was fine to him. But this is a bit to loose for riding he could may stuck in a tree or something so not save enough for a ride in the woods.

But good for the first training. Games and other things we do in total freedom. But to prepare your horse for riding outside, through traffic etc. You have to take some "savety-things"
Your horse can be very trustfull and good, but other people on the road not, :twisted:

So i am very happy with the original Cook. I can do a lot of things with this bidle. And yes i use it also somethimes as a sidepull. Thats why i like this bridle. You can chance it easely.

There was someone over here who uses now a little peace of leather between the crosslines and now she have no problem of the release anymore. Her horse give a better response. She wrote it somewere on the list i am forgotter were. sorry...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:39 am 

Oh - that was nice.. I have never tried the original, so maybe that is it? Or the little fixing your frind di - or just differences in the horses... My horse prefers halter really.. But I agree with you, it IS a bit too loose for riding.. ;)

So, I am searching for a sidepull, and waiting for a cavesson.... :roll: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:47 am 

Hey Barbara:

I know there is discussion about Cook's BB bridle not releasing, but I've been using one for over three years now, and really haven't seen any problems that might be caused by a lack of release with Stardust. I'm just starting Circe in it, and we're figuring out how/whether she'll like it.

For another take on this, here's what Jessica Jahiel/Cook say on his website:

http://www.bitlessbridle.com/dbID/260.html

And here's a great discussion on bitless bridles, in case you hadn't caught it yet:

http://www.artofnaturaldressage.com/vie ... le&start=0

(One of the things I found interesting about the above conversation was the discussion about how sidepulls could create more pressure than a crossunder bridle.)

Here's another one!

http://www.artofnaturaldressage.com/vie ... php?t=1237

I think it depends on the horse and the person...eventually, I dream of cordeo and bridleless...but none of us are there yet! :-)

And you two look great, by the way!

Best,
Leigh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:55 am 

Hey Barbara!

Beau looks fantastic! Nicely stretching down and relaxed!! Great job! Also, you seem to have such a nice way of sitting, a good seat? which I'm sure helps Beau use his back better??

As far as bridles, I use a Dr. Cooks and like it, just do pleasure riding with very little contact. I also use a caveson side pull, but I oil it and pad it cuz it seemed to bothering the bridge of their nose?

Brenda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:38 pm 

thank you all for your advice. I'll just keep testing things. But I've spend so much money lately that I have to start thinking about it.

@ Brenda: thank you for your compliments :oops: :oops: I have had a lot of trouble finding the right way to sit, as long as I do not think about it it seems to go well :) I'll know more I hope after the centered riding course :) I'm a strange person

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next