The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:53 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:25 pm 

Your mare is lovely. We have relatives, I think. My Altea, Andalusian and a bit of Arabian, has much this same baroque appearance, as her two year old daughter is also beginning to show. Very heavily muscled. Moves with much the same leg action naturally.

How wonderful to have such beauty in your life as this. I've always had a soft spot for the color of your mare too.

Donald, Altea, and Bonalario Magdalena

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:37 am 

I just found this thread. Thanks for all the wonderful links. I will watch them soon.

Birgit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:00 pm 

Donald Redux wrote:
How wonderful to have such beauty in your life as this.

Yes this is true: Everytime I see here I still think "Wow" - and we have here for over a year now. I don't get used to it... :) And it is not only her outer appearance she has also a beautiful soul! (Like every being, but hers shines a little bit more, at least for me and my husband... ;) )

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:20 pm 

Hi Volker and everybody else interested in Spanische Hofreitschule and Lipizzaners. I found a very interesting homepage wich was founded by Andreas Hausberger, Chief rider of the SRS. There is a kind of Forum (Blogs), Fotos and Videos.
Here it is: http://horsesanddressage.multiply.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:17 pm 

Franziska, thanks for all the wonderful links! Your mare is truly magnificent!

Franziska wrote:
How come that you bought a Lipizzan?

Actually, I started with very much the same deliberations. I always envisioned a baroque type, preferably a Lusitano. ;) I started looking for breeders or importers of Spanish horses and even almost every other baroque horse in Austria. But the better horses were way too expensive and also I didn´t like the idea to have a horse transported from the other end of Europe, turn his world upside down just to make live in cold Austria. So I looked at our local breeds and quickly turned an excited eye towards our very local Lipizzaner. I heard everything about them from being nice, sturdy allrounders to being crazy, hard to handle freaks that can only flourish in the most professional hands. Well as crazy as I am myself I went to Piber to have a look at the few horses they had to sell in my price range and two weeks later I was the most proud and somewhat confused owner of a 3 year old gelding.

When we saw him first (which was exactly on his 3rd birthday) he was the most unruly, unfinished little brat that our federal stud farm could muster:

But who could deny these mischievous little eyes?

From that day on we are waiting for this lovely furry grasshopper to turn into the horse for which we bought him :D

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:58 am 

:kiss: :funny:

I nearly got a Lippizaner mare instead of my Freckles. The S.A. breeding farm here occasionally sells mares and geldings if they don't "breed true" and this girl was for sale. They told me they are selling her because she is "too pretty" :funny: they meant that she was a throwback to the Barbary Horse because she was lightly built and very refined. She was pitch-black and gorgeous. Unfortunately she was only 14hh and was too short for me. They told me that would be no sales from the following year's foals either, and I didn't want to wait 3 years to get a horse. So I kept looking and eventually I found my boy.

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:36 am 

Houyhnhnm wrote:
When we saw him first (which was exactly on his 3rd birthday) he was the most unruly, unfinished little brat that our federal stud farm could muster:
From that day on we are waiting for this lovely furry grasshopper to turn into the horse for which we bought him :D

Volker - he is so sweet! As Lipizzaners are very well known to be quite "ugly" in their early years, I think Nepomuk is a really pretty one! I saw ones that were much worse proportioned... His expression is great!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:18 pm 

I'm falling in love with the spanish and baroque horses more and more the more I see them. Wish I could have another one. Of course there are few horse breeds I truly don't like, it's usually just what people do with them.

Birgit