The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:07 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 2224 Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:02 pm 

Wow, loving Freckles pedestal, it's huge and he offers it so willingly, he just knows that must be worth some smiles and treats.

A whole year to ask for tiny turns on the rope, he must have been very upset and needed a lot of patience. Still, he looked relaxed, he did not tighten the rope, and as he builds confidence he will soon manage a 32 foot lunge line, when he realises that small bends are harder work than bigger circles. You two really do look happy with each other.

If the pedestal were under the trees, the doggie could sit up on Freckles and get closer to the monkey?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, in both cases all I can say is:

Exellent!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:12 pm 

Karen, thanks. - Yes, it is tall. It's what I'm using for a mounting block :D so I guess Freckles decided that what's good enough for me should be good enough for him. :funny:

Suzie, he used to lunge very nicely. Then I went away for 2 weeks and when I got back he was terrified of lunging. It's taken all year to stop the fear of merely having a lunge-line clipped onto his halter, then of having a person holding a whip/stick/long-piece-of- anything at the same time that he has a lunge-line on. Then to clarify that I want him to move around me. Then to get him further away from me. Mostly it was to keep him CALM all the time. He's still skeptical about the lunging but at least he's not all white-eyed and galloping away now. Phew! Ummm - I keep my dogs away from Freckles now - he keeps trying to stomp them :roll: and while that produces a good Spanish trot I'm scared he'll actually catch them. :funny:

Zephyr - thanks. Tell me - is it OK for him to climb on a pedestal that big? It makes his front legs tremble to stay up there. :funny: I am allowing and encouraging it only because he chose to climb up there the first time from his own initiative, but maybe it's too big? I don't know ...

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

I don't see any harm in it if you do it a few times every so often :)
Good stretch and muscle build!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:48 pm 

What a choice to make for a pedestal :ieks: and he looks all conquering over it :P
I love how simple and gently he steps up on it!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:56 pm 

Zephyr - thanks. Ok great - I will ask it once a week then, and if he chooses to do it more often I will praise him a lot but with no treat. :love:

Kirsten. I was also :ieks: OMG !!! when he did it the first time :funny: and yes, he definitely enjoys being so big and towering over little me :funny:
Quote:
I love how simple and gently he steps up on it!

He used to rush up onto pedestals, then I made a small one (only about 4 inches tall) that was not fixed to the ground so it used to tilt if he got his feet too close to its edges and now he's much more careful :funny: :rambo: it's also how he learned to dismount so carefully :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:33 am 

Quote:
He used to rush up onto pedestals, then I made a small one (only about 4 inches tall) that was not fixed to the ground so it used to tilt if he got his feet too close to its edges and now he's much more careful it's also how he learned to dismount so carefully

Really great idea, I have this treetrunk that is a bit 'unsteady' but still to big, should find another one to have her more carefully put her feet on intstead of just 'kicking her feet in the air hoping it will land safely' :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:04 pm 

I'm also impressed Glen, how he got on and how he got off. No problem for him whatsoever. If you don't mind, I think I will ask my boyfriend to find me a tree stump like yours.
8) idea!!
Joc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:07 pm 

Since bringing my horses home, they have been living in an area that is just barely big enough - they have enough space to run and play but have over-grazed the area. There is another area that we put them in on the weekends for grazing, but it now starting to show some strain.

So we have worked hard this month getting fencing around my front-yard so they can mow the grass for me.

In the beginning of the video is a few short clips showing how they normally behave when they get into the weekend paddock. We removed some of the fence to give them access to the newly fenced front-yard. Their reaction was just so funny ....
:x :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW7Ii8IC0dY

Enjoy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:46 pm 

Wonderful Glen :applause: !
My favourite bit is Freckles and the invisible fence :funny: . That horse is such a card :D :love: !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:42 pm 

HOpe you don't mind Glen, I've posted this on my Facebook wall to watch over and over again. I have a dream that one day, my paddock will look just a tiny bit like yours. :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:20 am 

Lots of shade and shrubs and trees to play chase and hide + seek.
Rocket is sooo sweet, and not so little, just the others are bigger.
Looks like you all had a really good time. xx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:30 am 

No problem, Joc. It is a lovely area.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:42 pm 

wow a nice roll :funny: looks as a great place for horses :yes:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:47 pm 

So after a lot of trouble Freckles is over whatever happened in my absence early last year and is back to allowing me to lunge him - except that he refuses to be driven and rarely accepts a line in my hand :D he prefers to follow the lunge-whip. :funny: Personally I don't much care whether the whip is in front of him or behind him, as long as we are able to do some cool stuff without him being afraid of it. ;)

Oh yes, his halter is on because I "use" that to let him know it's my turn to choose what we do, and when it's his turn to choose he wears nothing.

In this video I ask him over a raised pole - this is only the 5th day I'm asking it and he still can't/won't do it on the left lead or perhaps it's the slight downhill that bothers him.

If I ask him to target over the trot-poles with his head low he often hits the poles but is slowly getting better. He has always done well over the poles with his neck in horizontal balance. I think I see the beginnings of some "float" in his pole-work. What do you think?

It's the 3rd time I'm asking him to cross his front legs, and he's slowly getting the idea.

He's quite good about the difference between left and right now, and he's often choosing to trot next to me when I am walking. :D His back-up/trot transition is down to one step of walk before trotting and just last week it was still 5 steps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tloRnemxZLE

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 2224 Next