The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:00 pm 

Well here some small vids of me and Jason just having some fun today, they are not perfect at all, but we are learning together so everything he offers is welcome.

the start of his front crunch, he picked this up realy quick, and now follows me around the field doing for fun, so I guess he likes it :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgb3pzBllU4

And this is our startings of lateral work, Jason has this habit of suddenly jumping his back end around to me in this work while I'm targeting it, don't know if it's excitement or what, any suggestions??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRcGTy0HgHs

And here he is back to hand, at the end again his bum jumps around as I target it......what am I doing wrong????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_oj4HoIpWw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:14 am 

I have no idea what you are doing wrong... :) But I think you are doing great... :D So fun to watch you!! :yes: :yes:

I know Lisa could be like this if she gets stressed - I have not seen it in my AND-work - but before when I used more pressure she could very easy turn out like this. But I have no idea if this is the same as Jason - or if he has totally different reasons... 8) :f: :f:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:15 am 

Oh - just to make clear.... I did not mean you used to much pressure - but that Lisa got stressed - and especially if I braught a whip....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:59 am 

hi there. we have a little pinto named sam, he shows clearly with his body language if he is being irritated with the game cloe is playing with him. even if he is getting it really well, he just gets irritated with it. so if she sees that language, i get cloe to change to new game and it is quickly prevented. also, if he starts to look a little like he is getting grumpy, we reward for the behavior and stop a minute. then start again. he doesnt like much to go on with it straight away. he likes to take in his brilliance :cheers:

sam also has a specific area behind his shoulder that is not for us. he was an abuse horse, and he must have his reasons. but if we walk there, he throws him bum up at us just like your horse did.

they are only little frustration fizzies, i think, and definately not kicks. but in my experience, they do eventually become kicks if not avoided.

i love your horse, he is so beautiful, and i think your bodylanguage is beautiful. i really enjoyed your vid. but i think that your little man has a similar personality as my sam. wonderful wonderful horses, but they do get a little frustrated and cranky with things sometimes.

:f: :f: :f: :f: :f: i loved your vid though, i thought that they were great!!!!! just fantastic!!!! :f: :love: :f: :love: :f: :love:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:29 pm 

I agree with Jess! Just a little irritatability. He may be bothered by the touch.

In his case, I would move as quickly as possible to not touching with the whip. He has the idea, allow him the time he needs to respond without touching? Same with backing up. I don't think you have to touch him any longer. I would say that he has the idea.

You can also ask for fewer steps and increase the reward when you stop using the whip. Just try using your hand gesture and reward him really quickly for any correct response...even if it is one step.

If you leave off with the whip, You can use your hand just behind his girth area to ask for forward motion...IF he is okay with a touch there.

Then...I would also spend a great deal of time touching and stroking all over with the whip and rewarding him for no response at all. Keep your body language very soft and relaxed so that nothing you do would indicate to him that you expect him to move while you are touching him. Just a gentle, relaxed stroking all over. You can watch for his responses (ears, tail) and this will tell you if some areas are more sensitive/ticklish than others, and you can work even more gently in those areas.

I would make the touches with the whip (where you are expecting him not to move) solid but soft...does that make sense? Not so light that it would feel like a fly landed on him, because that might annoy...but a soft, solid touch.

Just some ideas! :f: :f:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:42 pm 

I found with Monty that using a stick would often cause him to get a little irritated, even if I wasn't touching him with it. The energy of the stick near his flank would cause him to give a little buck. So I stopped using a stick and concentrate on body positioning instead. Like Jessplums pinto he also does not like to repeat too often (3 times at a push), he says if he has done it well once, why do it again! :) I agree with the others maybe you do not need the stick now. Or maybe you accidentally touched him with the end and he was saying "watch what you are doing!?" ;)
In the lateral video, I also wondered if he was turning towards you like that because that is what he thinks you want? If he is confusing the backwards signal with the lateral one????
He seems to be enjoying himself though and you are getting good responses to your cues which is nice. If only I could teach Monty to crunch like that. :applause:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

I've seemed to have completely missed your videos - what a super drooling gorgeous Irish Cob you have! So completely the opposite of the standard idea of that Cobs are slow, lazy and stiff - he's so flexible! :ieks: :clap:
If I show these three videos to my sister (Irish Cobs are her favorite breed), she will melt right on the spot. Jason is super!

About the bucks - he's just like Sjors, quite opinionated! :rofl:

I don't see anger, but instead a horse who's extremely willing to do things right (and earn food) - the opposite of the medal being that he's quite touchy and easily frustrated when he's not right or when he disagrees with your reactions. A wonderful teacher!

Sjors had exactly the same responses to the lightest touch with the whip - he wasn't afraid of it and I could stroke him everywhere with it if I didn't mean it as a cue, but as soon as the touch meant a cue, he responded with a snappy tailswish or a hop with the hindquarters. I learned exactly the same lesson as Natalie: if my cue/movement/tool isn't helping but instead hindering the pony in finding that correct movement, then I should stop using that cue/movement/tool and find another. So no whip, and when Sjors started to tailswish if I walked too straight towards him in the shoulder in, I moved more sideways myself as well with a more polite curve through my body and the tailswishing stopped.

About the sideways towards, he seems very keep on that and moves very agile when doing so, but he also seems to hurry a bit in it (probably again because he tries to do it so super eager) and that makes the movement a bit uncontrolled. As he's moving towards you and that could get you into trouble when you suddenly find a fence behind your back, ;) it might be wise to start to teach him that you're not really looking for fast moving sideways towards you, but instead for a more controlled and balanced movement, even a bit slower so that he can do it with the correct bend through his body: bending his tail and nose towards you and the ribcage out. That's when you get a real travers.

When focusing on the correct bend in the travers, I did so by asking the ponies to move towards me and then target my outstretched hand with their nose in that movement. As soon as they touched, click and reward. The next phase was that they did turn the head towards me, but also turned the shoulder towards me so that in fact they were walking straight towards me again. 8) That's when I used my other hand (tailside) to touch the ribcage at the place of the surcingle or the base of the neck right in front of the shoulders in order to ask them to keep those away from me (while the nose and tail moved towards me).

So in fact I need three hands for travers/sideways towards: 8)
- When everything goes well, I'm simply walking sideways or backwards away from the pony with arms relaxed and he follows in travers
- when the neck is bent the wrong way with the head facing away from me and the direction of movement, I stretch out my hand closest to the head and ask the pony to touch that with the nose
- when the pony moves too fast towards me or pushes the shoulder in instead of keeping it out, I stretch out my hand closest to the tail and touch his neck base/ribcage with my fingers, also indicating the distance I want him to keep between him and me (an arms length 8)
- when the hind quarters lag behind and the pony becomes too straight instead of going sideways, I stretch out my tail hand parallel to his spine towards the hindquarters and ask him to touch my hand with the hindquarters again, which means that they have to move in again even if they don't literally touch my hand.

Isn't dressage a wonderful puzzle? :)

And now I'm going to torture my sister with the videos of your Super Cob... :twisted:

New horse book: Mandala horses!

Never stop making mistakes! Natural Dressage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:53 pm 

Wooooh! Go Jason! He is a star!!

It amazes me how you get your guys to do these things so well. My two just ignore me! lol

Jason doesn't seem overly bothered by your stick to me....he is just trying really hard to get things right and full of beans. Knowing Jason I would say his little bucks are because he is trying so hard and is trying to please you he gets a little wound up and excited....taht's his way of letting it out!! (he is such a cute teddy bear....I am going to steal him one day you know!!)

More videos!! We need more videos! :green:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:47 pm 

I haven't been here for a while, had a nice evening catching up on peoples vids. I've had a busy summer, with lots of fun with the horses.....heres a small video of Jason and I just messing in the woods......we're not that brilliant, his stretches are geting better, but he's been very clever training me.....just watch me keep the treats coming, he knows what buttons to push....and of course he just loves to stretch!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSd5VnwtPbg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:08 am 

I just sat there and smiled the whole video. thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:03 am 

really nice video...
I used to take my shetlandpony for a walk, together with my 3 dogs.
He also walked along without any halter/rope or whatever.
It was always great...

The video did put a smile on my face also
especially the last part, where he was really showing of... look how good i am... do i get a reward now? :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:38 pm 

great Annie, nice to see you here again :friends:
he is a sweet guy :love:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:54 pm 

Well you can see he has me well and truly trained!!! He's like a big dog, follows me everywhere, and always comes running if I disapear....bless him.

Hi Inge, I wish I could get here more often, I work alot more now, and try to fit horses around more hours work....god life's so busy, and computers soak up alot of precious horse time. My boy wanted to make the vid as he's doing alot of movie makeing on the computer...hence the very classy vid, bless him, I think I have a film maker in my midst.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:45 pm 

Hey Annie -- so cool to see you here!

I've missed you.
:kiss:

Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:12 pm 

He's so cute :love: