The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:22 pm 

Karen wrote:

It's a little hard to explain in a few words. I will try to find a video or something that illustrates it properly. There are a great many people out there who will teach people to lunge horses (or round pen them), precious few of them do it with any knowledge of thier body language.

Klaus Ferdinand Hempfling is a great example of how to do it right. I'll find the youtube videos...if they can help. They might only be still pictures though.

But he is a great teacher of body language. ...

A beautiful description of what longing can be. And how to do it. Even if it is hard to describe.

Hempfling's book "Dancing With Horses," has a series of photos that very clearly illustrate the body language (and body control necessary) to transmit both the subtle and less subtle messages from human to horse. Lovely photos.

A tape of him I watched, though it had little longing in it too provided that sense of self control of one's body as a communication tool.

The book is very likely available through the library system, as well might be tapes of Hempling. And if not, the investment is well worth it.

The next thing that comes to mind from your post Karen, are some of the other ground exercises that if done tactfully with an eye to asking and allowing the horse to say either yes or no without one's own reactivity (like "he must do as I say") would be very good to consider.

Michelle might look over the folder/forum at:

http://www.artofnaturaldressage.com/viewforum.php?f=8 ... that has so many excellent contributions from AND members, and references to outside sources.

I know that I found this invaluable as I struggled with my own tendency to use the pressure release systems and methods I had honed into such powerful tools over the many years I practiced them.

It's still hard to let go of at times, and refuse to accept all the internal and external forces that pressure ME to use it.

That is when I come back to AND and review the Groundwork exercises, and other parts of AND to help me focus, center, and relax ... letting go of demands and just being soft.

Dakota is a great teacher and signals me clearly when I am too pushy and he gets flustered, like a school boy suddenly called upon by the teacher to solve the maths problem on the blackboard.

He simply steps on my foot, or bumps into me, and goes all clumsy and into reverse. Seriously.

If he's confused, from my pushiness, say to move his body away from me, and instead of pointing my finger but not touching him, I push with my finger against his side, guess which way he actually goes ... :lol:

Yep, right into me, when I know perfectly well had I waited another second or two he'd have sorted out one direction from the other quite nicely on his own.

I suspect Michelle's Chance will be a good instructor and coach for her too. :)

Above all, Michelle, if the AND philosophy and it's practical application is your goal and intent, go slow, take your time. It's in nearly everything Karen suggests, and for a very good reason.

We all have learned from our horses, often the hard way. If your horse steps on you you may be sure it is only following your lead. Give what you wish to get. And that way you will get wonderful things. Sometime very tiny things, but precious for all that.

Donald R.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:08 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7_vkvpMq4E

Let me know what you think videos basiclly exsplains it!

Post subject: FIRST LEG LIFTS!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:00 pm 

NEW VIDEO!!!! WE GOT LEG LIFTS!! WOOOOO and a few new tricks!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmmcrkPa-Oo

Notice when im walking shes trotting to keep up and really extending her front legs when walking with me!

No I did NOT hit her I was trying to pet her but she moved towards my hand and i accidently poked her in the eye :( I said sorry lol

Then there was one time I jumped forward really fast acting like i was gonna take off and she start jumping in the air and throwing her head lol!!

Let me know what you think!!

Post subject: Re: FIRST LEG LIFTS!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:23 am 

:D :D :D i loved your vid. it is great watching other people having as much fun as me. i loved the leg lifts, she is very expressive, and she really is having alot of fun. :love: :love: :love: :love: you can see how much she loves you.

(dont you hat it when that happens with the poking in the eye, i have done this befor. i went to pat and they came in for a cuddle and i accidentally poked..... dont you feel bad. but dont worry, she knew you didnt mean it, you can tell :D :D :love: :love: )

i can wait to see more vids :love: :love: :yes: :yes: :f: :f: