The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:08 pm 

Hi, everyone.

Kerstin asked me to post this so you can see her horses, as she has got a "so-slow" internet connection!

I have to say that I spent the most fantastic day with them on the 17th.

Kerstin offered me the chance to "borrow" one of her horses to test ride the Trekker Flexible Saddle I want to buy. Not only did I love that saddle, I received a very special gift from them.

I was shown the horse intended for the test, and Marc rode him for a few minutes in cordeo only. Then he asked if I wanted to try! Well, I screwed up all my courage (the horse is very baroque, and has a strong presence) and chose to try.

So, I walked over to the horse, and greeted him, and told him Mark said I could have a little ride. Tom lifted his head and glared at me down his nose as if to say "How rude! We haven't been properly introduced and you think you can just jump onto my back because Mark said it's OK!"

Well, when my giggling subsided I apologised for being far too familiar so quickly and asked if I could scratch him anywhere. He promptly turned his head and bit at his barrel, so I scratched there. He showed me another, and another, and another, etc. After about 10 minutes (my fingers were starting to cramp - hahaha) he sighed softly and turned his back towards me. WOW! What a feeling.

So Mark helped me mount, and we did a little walking and trotting in the paddock. This was the first time I "surrendered" control to a horse, and man-oh-man, I can't wait to do it again!

Then we saddled up, and put a bridle on Tom (bitless - of course) and Mark and Sultan took Tom and I for a jaunt through the coutryside. I really tested that saddle! I don't think there is any style of trot that Tom didn't show me, and I have a sneaky suspicion that he's even invented a few!

He has the typical, high-knee-action, super-fast, huge-and bouncy trot that many Friesians have. Also he can jog, slow-trot, working-trot, soft-and-smooth trot, sideways trot, suspension trot, triple (which is trotting with front while walking with hind), over-the stones trot, different-tempo-every-stride trot, almost-backwards trot, really-really-fast-downhill trot, 2-strides-trot-and-1-stride-walk (with as many number variations as you can think of), I-can't-hear-you-I'm-following-the-dog trot, trot-pirouette, and I few I don't know how to describe! What a magnifent, wonderful creature he is!

Of course, Mark was giggling at me most of the way! We did reach an understanding - I chose where to go, and he chose the pace! Not once did I feel unsafe or nervous, although I was initially quite intimidated.

Thank you so much, Tom!

Here's a video of four of Kerstin and Mark's five horses. Sorry, the fifth horse wandered off in the opposite direction while I was preparing the camera.

http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh19 ... inMark.flv

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

What a wonderful story Glen!

That is the start of EVRYTHING! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

So nice to see Kerstin´s horses!! And thanks a lot to you for taking a video of them. :) We haven´t heard of Danny for a while though, who is missing in our AND- South Africa team at the moment. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:25 pm 

Glen, thanks so much for posting the videos!

I must say I am getting quite frustrated sometimes with our ever sooooooo slow inernet connection. i am missing out on all the videos! :(

But I am still rolling over laughing. :lol: I think nobody has ever desribrd Tom's trotting repertoire better than you, Glen. Yep, that's my boy.

Romy, I am still around, I am regularly checking in with the forum, and reading all you guys wonderful stories. I am just not so good with emails and so am a more passive member. :)

Lots of love
Kerstin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:42 pm 

Kerstin,

It was a very poor, small repayment for what you (and Tom) gave me.

By the way, if Tom ever needs another home ... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:59 am 

Hi Glen

Great video and story
Thanks for sharing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:27 pm 

Kerstin wrote:
I must say I am getting quite frustrated sometimes with our ever sooooooo slow inernet connection. i am missing out on all the videos! :(

you have slow internet i do not have a videocamera..i would like to see myself working and riding with my horses someday...i think i will learn a lot afther seeing myself... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:48 pm 

Yes, I think one can learn a lot from watching oneself on video. Just today, when I was doing groundwork with Tom, I tought it would be really helpful to watch all of this again. Some movements are just to qick or one is so involved and focused that it is difficult to grasp the whole picture or see everything in perspective.
Unfortunately I also do not have a videocamera(and I have slow internet :wink: ), but my digital camera is able to take some minutes of video. So I think I will try that. Better than nothing.

Warmest regards
Kerstin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:24 pm 

hhmm i have to do it with nothing :cry:
but i am still happy :D and have fun with my horse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:29 pm 

Hi, Kerstin.

Before I got a fancy new digital video camera I had a friend take "serial" photos by clicking every 5 or 10 seconds, then when you look at them in the order they were taken you can see the movement fairly well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:13 pm 

Glen, you are really inventive :) And serial photos might sometimes even give you more insight.

Finally got around(and figured out how)to upload an avatar photograph. Recognize the boy, Glen? :wink:

Greetings
Kerstin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:04 am 

Oh yes! There he is! Are you sure he doesn't need a new home? Hahaha!

I really hope to repeat my visit with you - it was such fun! And the lunch was yummy, and it's so peaceful there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:42 pm 

Glen, you are welcome anytime. And so sorry -no new home for Tom! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:34 am 

Glen what a great story and you are a wonderful story teller....I could " see " it....what a fun day. sounds just awesome.

Hello to Tom, Mark and Kerstin too.

So what did you think of the saddle? :D

thanks for sharing, I love your posts...

Carrie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:27 am 

Loved the saddle! Have ordered one!

It is hard to describe but I had to think quite carefully about how I was sitting as I automatically sat as if it was my Wintec, and it just didn't feel right! Then I looked at me and adjusted a bit and suddenly - WOW!

Trekker Master II - 16.5 inch. YAY! With 2 saddle pads.