The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:41 pm 

I am looking for people who would be interested in promoting natural hoof care and training. I am a natural farrier and I get allot of people who are not convinced that barefoot horses can do high level movements as well or better than those in shoes. My website is www.healthyhooves.ca I am looking for any horse and owner who is convinced that barefoot is better for the health of the horse. I would need a picture (or three) of your horse and a small write up on your natural training and hoof care that would go up on my website. I hear everyday that if a horse is to perform high level movements that they need shoes, I know this is not the case and would like to show some horses that "do it all" without shoes.

I am new on this forum so I hope this is not too forward.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, this is interesting. What are those people´s arguments that those movements should only be possible with shoes?

Warm Regards and Welcome here, :D
Romy

Last edited by Romy on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:10 pm 

I hear all the stories-Horse shoes protect a horses hoof allowing it to move freely, shoes correct a conformation default allowing my horse to perform, my horse is in training allot and he would wear the hoof off, shoes add traction and my horse is lame with out shoes, my horse works on rocky ground so the horse needs shoes, holds the hoof together, I care about horses and would never let them be without shoes, my trainer said the horse needs shoes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:52 pm 

I only have pictures of going for a walk. We're not so good yet :s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:28 pm 

very nice site.
I do not ride on a high level. i do not like competitions. But i ride a lot on the road and woods.
My horse has never had iron on his body, not in his mouth or veet. He walks very good over hard and soft way's. i walk every day a minimum of 20 minits on a hard ground. So i have to do less. He shape it by his own. Ones a year i call a farrier and he check if everything is okay. He says always lovely feet, no problems..go for it..beacutyfull feet...
i check it every week and keep the litle "mustangroll" in shape :D
So i say to everyone why irons?? But yes they said the same as you wrote.
My horses were a year before in a field which was 3 mile of the woods, i rode that every day. It was normal carway at first it was flat but after awaile they put on a kind of gravel. The horses did not like it much, but they get used to it and walked after a few weeks normal again.

My litle ponie have had a pair of shoes during a short period (6 months) he had some terrible sore feet. So i have helped him with the shoes. it was a perfect sellution for that period. He was happy again.
Now we do not uses the shoes anymore, but i have them for...??...you never know... :D
I have trimmed him differend in that time till i had found the perfect feet for him.

the horses are happy so i am too :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:16 am 

I am not only looking for competition horses, any story that anyone wants to share about their experience with shoes and then going barefoot. I find that horses need time to build up the sole if they had shoes on before they can go over gravel freely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:33 am 
Site Admin

My horses are barefoot for 12 years now...
I am trying to explain to everyone how harmful shoes can be... all the time...

I shall write a story for you as soon as I have some time, okay?

And welcome by the way :)

Warm regards,

Josepha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:23 pm 

I've never owned a horse that was shod. Ever! i grew up on a farm, and it was just never needed or done for any of our horses. We trimmed feet ourselves and I cannot remember one instance of any hoof problems. None.

Cisco and Tamarack have never had shoes. Never had any need for them, and now, if I were to do somethign like trail riding on rocky ground, I would just go buy hoof boots. Cisco does not like trail riding, but I'm hoping Tam will enjoy it. Most places where folks from our stable go to trail ride are all soft ground, or sandy soil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:59 pm 

Horses really are better off barefoot from day one. Natural horses in general are better off than the conventionally boarded horse in mind, body and spirit! I hope that more horses can be allowed to live as natural as possible with the proper life style, training, feed, hoof care and social interaction.

I think the information on healthy hooves and healthy horses really needs to be available to all horse owners. With magazines like the AQHA promoting the use of deck screws and wooden planks for founder, it's hard for people to see the problems in front of them.

I have added a "what does a healthy hoof look like" part to my site with the few pictures that I have. As well as not so healthy hooves. Any feed back is greatly appreciated-good or bad!