The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Worming training
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:09 pm 

I wasn't quite sure where to put this ....

In the autumn I will have to worm Charlie and Boris for tapeworm . They had a worm count done in JAN/FEB and had very low counts , so no need to worm :D But the worm count doesn't show up tapeworm , so we are going to have to worm for that . I have 2 tubes of equest pramox and 2 tubes of equest .
I have gotten an empty syringe and I am planning on starting to introduce it to them ( full of yummy things ) But then I started thinking about it and I don't really like the principle of what I understand , is the training . So correct me if I am wrong ,but the aim is to show the horses that syringes are ok and produce nice treats . That is a great idea , but I hate the idea of when I put the wormer in the syringe and he comes along expecting the usual game and then gets a horrible chemical in his mouth instead :sad: . The other option is to put it in his food , but then if he refuses to eat it .... we would have wasted the chemical . Not a bad idea ;)
How do you guys train for worming ?
I would love to not have to worm , but so many people say it is very important ... ( could someone pleaseplease tell me it isn't necessary :pray: :pray: )

:f:

Last edited by Ali on Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Worming
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:21 pm 

I think this might belong in the "Health" sub-forum ;)

Honestly, I've never had a worm count done (my dad doesn't think it's necessary.. tadaaaaa! :evil: ) I've wormed a few times... 2 or 3? Haven't done it the past few years, so I'm thinking of giving them another bout now. Although I now realise that won't be possible, because my dad never ordered the wormer!!! God, sometimes I hate he's a vet! The ONLY thing good about it is that he can prescribe medicine if needed, but he rarely does it (not that we've needed other than wormers) and definitely not on time! :evil:
They're never out among other horses though, but they've walked on a small patch of paddock lately, so I feel it might be necessary.

Oh well, I know there are natural wormers such as herbs. I also recently was linked to something with coconut and dried onion. You could try Googling it :) I don't know about its flavour though!

Camouflaging the chemical wormer seems close to impossible. Unless were talking MASSIVE amounts of food :funny:

Post subject: Re: Worming training
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:22 pm 

Bissen wrote:
I think this might belong in the "Health" sub-forum ;)

Honestly, I've never had a worm count done (my dad doesn't think it's necessary.. tadaaaaa! :evil: ) I've wormed a few times... 2 or 3? Haven't done it the past few years, so I'm thinking of giving them another bout now. Although I now realise that won't be possible, because my dad never ordered the wormer!!! God, sometimes I hate he's a vet! The ONLY thing good about it is that he can prescribe medicine if needed, but he rarely does it (not that we've needed other than wormers) and definitely not on time! :evil:
They're never out among other horses though, but they've walked on a small patch of paddock lately, so I feel it might be necessary.

Oh well, I know there are natural wormers such as herbs. I also recently was linked to something with coconut and dried onion. You could try Googling it :) I don't know about its flavour though!

Camouflaging the chemical wormer seems close to impossible. Unless were talking MASSIVE amounts of food :funny:

I was going to put it in there , but then thought as it is wormer training I should put it in here . .... moderators ? could you move the thread ??

I have heard about the negative effect of natural herb wormers , as they sometimes don't kill all of the worms so a resistance develops . I know this happens with chemical wormers to , but not to such a degree .......
:f:

Post subject: Re: Worming
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:22 pm 

Ah, I see your concern about which forum to put it in, then ;)
- And I'd think resistance might develop with herbs as well.

Ain't easy!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:07 pm 

I've decided to move the topic here, as that's probably where one would look for it.

Faldor wrote:
That is a great idea , but I hate the idea of when I put the wormer in the syringe and he comes along expecting the usual game and then gets a horrible chemical in his mouth instead :sad: .
I totally understand your concerns. I would feel like betraying my horse when a fun game would suddenly turn sour like that.

I never trained Mucki to accept deworming paste before hand. His first experiences where by hands of the barn owners of our former places. Only lately I started to administer it myself.
When I did, I experienced an interesting thing, which also happens when applying bandages, or other medical treatments:
First, Mucki recognises the situation immediately when he sees me holding the syringe. Usually, he slowly walks away from me and the treatment (wise boy ;)). Would I use pressure or force to hold him back, the situation would escalate.

What I do is to be gently persistent. I tell him of the necessity of the treatment, and then I reward every little approach to the subject of fear (or disgust ;)).
It is astonishing, how I can see the dislike in Mucki's face, but at the same time his acceptance of the treatment.
Mucki is definitely not the type to be lured into a situation he doesn't want just by treats. Instead, I feel like it is the mode of interaction that he recognises and then chooses to comply.
This is not so much a result of specific training for this kind of situation, but more a cummulated effect of the reward based training over time.

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:58 pm 

Zermi never took worming paste volunatarily, he always tried to get away, when he saw me with the syrenge... Then, some years ago, I had a (in our area) quite famous vet, who heals with herbs, prepared in alcohhol. So, she prescribed Zermi a special herb, with alcohol and I gave it to him in syringes. We called it Schnäpschen (little grog). I didn t give it for long, because Zermi got too lazy from the alcohol :yawn: and I didn t feel comfortable with the idea of making him drunk anyway... Well, he loved his Schnäpschen, though. Since this episode, I can give him deworming paste freely, he even wants it and he isn t angry at all, if it is no grog, but bitter paste. Maybe also, because he always gets the most beautiful apple, I could find afterwards...Some weeks ago, the other horse got his worming syrenge and Zermi went to the owner and begged to get it as well. Though my plan was, to give it to him later, I decided to do him the favour and give it to him instantly as well...
:sun:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:59 pm 

Thank you , dani and Volker :giveflower:

I have been worrying about this quite a lot and did a very extensive internet search and was very happy to find these
- http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Equimax-Tabs ... /EQUIMTAB/

and these
-http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Panacur-Horse-Wormer-Granules/productinfo/PANHG/

They are basically chemical wormers in a different form . With there flavours changed . :smile:

So Charlie and I can breath a sigh of relief :yeah: :yeah:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:14 pm 

You can't really blame the horses for not liking them - I remember when I first tasted the stuff! I recall it was play-dough like Image
But I also think I recall a horse that actually liked it, though not who :funny:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:21 pm 

i just read this now.

i have been playing with the horses with the worming,
i had a video back then
maybe it can help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qTA7dezL48

for a while it became one of those things we play with,

another option i offer the horses (especially worked with Hercules who has the huge negative baggage as he was wormed before coming to us by applying a twitch :sad: and is generally very sensitive to all medical care) is - carrot sandwiches that contains a small portions of the worming past, so that way they can choose the way they want to take it.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:15 am 

Your video is so sweet , anat !! :D

I did buy a big syringe for wormer training awhile ago , but then I thought some more about it ....
As I said in my first post , the game is great up in till I have to put the chemical wormer in it .
This morning I decided to bring the syringe along and start the a game with it , like you were doing in the video anat . Charlie got the game quickly and within 5 minutes he would take it into his mouth and let me squirt '' air '' ( empty syringe ) into his mouth . Great , we both had great fun and I suppose it is good to have him used to a syringe , just incase of an emergency . I still cant break his trust and put the wormer in it , i will only do that in case of a life and death emergency .
I like your idea of carrot sandwiches , I may try that :yes:
Anat , how do they react when you put the wormer in the syringe ? What do you worm them with ?

many thanks :sun: