The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:10 pm 

So 3 days ago we had our first foal of this year. The little one was born in no time and immediately stood up and was drinking in like 15 minutes. So all excellent with the foal, the mare however delayed to get the placenta out so we had to call the vet. The placenta was still completely inside here. When after some trouble our vet got it out she diagnosed some spots of necrosis in the placenta (at least, that's what she said it was). She say's that she's never seen anything like it. She asked us to take some pictures and send them to here so she can try to find out why... Has any of you ever seen anything like this? Experiences? Thoughts about what may be the cause?
Here are some of the pics:

https://app.box.com/s/i1yq3byj6dtna9f5129v

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:52 pm 

I don't have any experience with horse placentas, but I do have an alpaca with a history of strange placentas. Hers don't look exactly like what your mare had, but they have had similar spots of red. If you still have the placenta, it might be worthwhile having your vet send it off for analysis. I've had Cornell look at one of my alpaca's strange placentas. We couldn't pin down an exact cause with my alpaca. Ultimately, we tried a course of antibiotics on the off chance there was some kind of infection. The next year, she had a fairly normal looking placenta.

I only bring this up, since your experience sounds similar to what I've seen. An abnormal looking placenta, but the baby is totally fine.