The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Rainscald
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:52 pm 

Skylark has rainscald!

Now, I know that rugging is one of the worst things that I can do because the bacteria will thrive in such a warm environment.
The only real solution is to keep her in a dry environment. What do I have? A damp, muddy, wet field :sad:. I could take her to the main livery yard, but this means her being kept in a stable 24 hours a day and getting bored out of her mind. Also once she's better, she will have to go to the extreme of being out constantly again.
It's a shame that at the yard there isn't a compromise, like that she can be turned out somewhere when the weather is fine...

I have started using 'neem leaf' in her feed and neem oil topically, which is supposed to be very good, but i'm worried that leaving her like this to hopefully get better is going to be bad for her. I'm in a real conundrum about what the best thing to do is.

Aside from that though, she's so happy and at home in the field that I don't really want to turn her world upside down.
Do any of you have any tips about ways that I can alter her management so that she can carry on living happily outside without going bald and sore from rainscald?

:f:

Post subject: Re: Rainscald
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:46 pm 

I'm not a vet so I can't give any medical advice but as far as I know keeping them dry and clean is the most important thing. It happens quite a bit to horses around here in the wet season and it's usually if they have no access to shelter. If she hasn't got any food available under cover I think a rain sheet would be a good solution, if you disinfect and dry the sores regularly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:55 pm 

Thank you :)

Apparently usually rain sheets make the bacteria increase because a damp, warm environment is created under the rug...

But yep, keeping dry is the best thing you're right - I've managed to get her a month at the main livery yard, but with the option of turnout on nice days :D.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:09 pm 

I hope she is getting better soon! Are your girls going to be able to stay together?

Let me know if you find out anything that works well as a treatment. Many horses have the same problem around here in the subtropics.

Luckily I've never had to deal with it myself. My horses have unlimited hay in an undercover area, so they just stay inside if it rains too much.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:29 pm 

No they have to live separately :sad:. Spirit is very happy because she's in their usual field, with two friends in with her and two other ponies across the stream. Skylark is slowly adjusting...
Every morning for the last three mornings I've used quite hot, warm water (if that makes sense!) with a 'lavender rinse' in it and I've gently sponged the scabby infected hair away, revealing a very bald pony underneath :sad:. I then play with her in the arena, then put her in the stable for the day. She has a ball full of treats that she gets as frustrated with as a human with a rubix cube :funny:, because she kicks and throws it around so fast that no treats come out! Apart from the treat ball, she doesn't like very much about being in the stable. So on dry nights I put neem oil on her affected patches and then turn her out. I am also putting neem leaf in her feed, as well as quite a large dosage of turmeric for its anti inflammatory effects. So watch this space - i'll let you know if this current management works!
She has been really hard to treat because it hurts her so much when I touch the sore spots, but each day she gets a bit better. Especially today when I ran out of pony treats and used ginger biscuits for +R instead ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:14 am 

I'm just finding out all about Sea Buckthorn. Unfortunately I can't get the supplement in Australia (I have itchy horses) but it sounds like it will be good for anything. All I could find here was the seeds or human products. So I'll be trying to grow it for my horses.
Translated from Greek it's botanical name (Hippophae Rhamnoides) means "bright shining horse"!

http://www.nupafeed.co.uk/#/seabuckthorn/4576423819