The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:36 pm 

I stumbled onto this video and I had never heard of it before, but Caroline Resnick and her friend Robin sometimes use "tea" instead of a foodreward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 2PLiA2ekPE

It was very nice to see, and maybe an idea or inspiration for the persons who feel that their horse gets too much inside him/her with treats. What do you think about rewarding with a tea?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, that's cool! In our case, I haven't found the right tea, yet. When we give herb tea to the horses, it's more a matter of persuading them to take it at all, so it would not make a good reward for us. They LOVE juice though, or wine 8) but of course that's not something I would like to give them regularly. ;)

Nora already said we should try it with apple tea because she thinks Pia might like that, and I think she's perfectly right. I'll try it this weekend. :smile: I don't think I'll do this as a regular reward though, because I can imagine it to be rather complicated in terms of the handling, or at east not as easy and fast as grabbing a few grains of oat from my treat bag.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:59 pm 

I totally agree that its not as fast as grabbing a few grains, and therefore would I prefer to use food instead of tea also.

But I always gave Sjors a cup of tea in winter or when we was not feeling his optimal self. He loved camomile tea and every herb mix we used to drink ourselves. The first time he looked at me as I was crazy, but after sweetening (a drop of honey) it or pouring it over his "dinner" (read, some carrots and a handfull of mais or something else dilicious) he started to appreciate it and effectivly trained me to bring him a thermosflask with me and share our cup of tea. That were lovely moments just enjoying eachtothers presence.

But he did not like it cold, he needed the human temperature tea :funny:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:43 am 

I love this idea, I will have to experiment at some point.

I always give warm water in the winter, which is more easily taken in when it is very cold too. In winter at work we give buckets of warm water to the donkeys too, and the water is gone in seconds, with them literally queuing up for it!