The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Bad fur
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:15 pm 

My Vilja has had very bad fur since she started getting her wintercoat... She is not shiny, the fur stands out here and there and she have some little "humps" in her skin as well. She scratches a lot, and she has gotten thinner....

Here is a lot of tiny sticking insects now and the (yes it is late for them, but the weather have been so nice). I don't know if they are some of the reason. Lisa has a little bad fur as well (but not like Vilja - she has some small scratches, perhaps from the insects), but the two shetties are just the usual teddy-bears :lol: .

I am thinking of worms? I was supposed to wait until frost is here for the next de-worming, but maybe I should give her one now as well? She do get vitamins, but it could of course be something she gets too little of? I will start feed her some grain to get her a little thicker, she only gets hay and vitamins now.

I don't know if there is anything wrong with ehr, but she don't look too good.... Anyone any ideas? I will call my vet and hear what she sais tomorrow as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:22 pm 

most likely mineral deficiency. I know Pat Coleby's book "Natural HOrse Care" has been translated into swedish.
I would suspect copper and sulfur among other things,
Is kelp avaialble in NOrway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:41 pm 

Thank you - the fur is much better, we have figured out some :)