The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Equine Nutrition Course
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:42 pm 

Hi, if someone is interested in participating in a Nutrition Course held by the University of Edinburgh you should harry up and sign up, it will be finished in 8 days. I found very interesting and resourceful and it's free. You can also download everything, videos with subtitles and documents and I suggest you do it in case you want to review it later. Have fun!

https://www.coursera.org/course/equinenutrition

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:12 pm 

Thanks Stavros,
I signed up too but would have forgotton if not for your reminder. I think if I remember rightly there were some animal behaviour courses on offer too (just not specific to horses ;) ).

There are quite a few courses now online that are free :applause:

Looking forward to this one as the last time I studied the digestive tract was in a classroom with a vet and a slide show!!!! Long before the days of internet access in the home :funny: :D

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:40 am 

Well a bit difficult at some points, the vet here is Scottish so I make a big effort to follow her. Plus she's talking like she is out of air and water sometimes, or like she's about to die which makes the speech very dull and boring. But it's free and with some patience you will learn some useful things. Can't find the one in animal behavior, are you sure it's not over?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:12 pm 

Yes but most is visual which is good. I am pretty sure she is on another list and knows her stuff. A while back I didn't take much interest in what vets say as they like to fix problems with drugs rather than finding a cause, which in most cases is management of the animal regarding it's ethogram. (Of course you will get colic if you lock the horse up 18 hours a day and feed it two large buckets of processed food...duh....and no the answer is not to feed it anti spasmodic drugs daily)!!!! It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic and most owners call the vet for advice believing they know best. It's not always in the best interest of the horse though :sad:

It seems today though as owners are getting more knowledgable that vets are needing to tell people (as well as learn themselves) that prevention and change is better than cure. Hopefully we will see a drop in overuse of de-wormers and innoculations neither of which is good for the horse either and stresses the whole system to lead to other health issues later.

Here is the link to the animal behaviour course.
https://www.coursera.org/course/animalbehav
It's not for a while yet.

I'm sorry both these courses were discussed somewhere else (can't remember where) and someone recommended both the one you suggested and this one.
I signed up for the nutrition course but mine has not started yet.....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:16 pm 

Yes I so much agree with you. It is so difficult for many of us to find the right path to follow with our horse. So many theories and methods many of them just based on false beliefs, superstition and tradition and not on the true and natural needs of the horse. For instance with all the different shoes and shoeing methods, most people shoe their horse not because of lameness or pain but simply because somebody told them that they have to. Then as the hoof degrades because of the negative effects of the horse shoe, confinement and bad nutrition they call for orthopedic shoeing or other extreme applications, and one after the other all of them just cover for a short time, the real cause of the problem. When all it takes is 2 days of reading and half an hour every month of trimming to have the best and healthiest hoof that can be. And I work her hard on tough Greek terrain.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:38 pm 

That's why it's so brilliant you found the AND forum! Me too, I love it here as we get to discuss things without the "you should" or "you must" and those that are interested stay and learn and get to explore their thoughts in a healthy way. All of us have something to give and something to learn no matter where we are in our paths. :D
But the best part of all is we learn most from our horses and the sharing of the experiences we have, which are all different.
I'm glad you joined us and hope to follow your diary with your mare as I think it will be very rewarding for you. :D

Quote:
And I work her hard on tough Greek terrain.

You are lucky you have this terrain, so many horses are standing or moving on less than ideal footing which makes the transition to bare foot so hard as it involves a move of yard/stable as well as radical rethinking. So hard for some owners to wrap their heads around. :sad: