The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:01 am 

lol. Crayon often stands so ridiculously, especially with her hind end. She'll let her hocks kind of turn outward and it's pretty funny to see. :funny: It's interesting, because I was actually able to go to nationals for horse bowl and hippology, two horse knowledge competitions in 4-H. They cover pretty much everything and I'm pretty confident about it, but then when I was actually faced with a real problem with my own horse, I think I was too worried about how bad it might be to remember much and to actually put any of that knowledge to use! That seems rather ironic. haha. :roll: :funny:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:22 pm 

That is pretty funny :funny:
I hate it when horses get injured BUT I was forced to learn and treat a variety of issues (owners not there and 16 horses left to a groom :ieks: ) and now can spot things early that the owners don't see as the same type of thing comes up again and again. It is really hard though when it's your horse. I am happy to inject any horse as long as it's not mine. I am too scared I will mess it up but don't even think about that with any other horse. Our horses are like our kids. I can't begin to understand what it must be like to have to do a daily injection on your own child :ieks: :sad:

I'm so glad the swelling now has come down with Crayon and that the other leg hasn't taken strain because of it. Now you can really look at those legs and feet angles and get the best possible work/trim that will give her the most soundness for her life.

It's great you have those types of competitions where you are, as here most owners know very little about anatomy and conformation and lots of the wrong knowledge about traditional schooling techniques. They only start to ask questions when things go wrong and they can no longer ride. :sad:

It may be worth you looking at investing in some kind of tendon boots later (as finances allow or search second hand) to help support those legs and rather prevent overuse :idea:

I think you did well to recognise there was a problem, treat it and ask for more info. I wonder how many other people would have carried on riding and "working" until the horse had gone lame :sad:

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:38 am 

Tendon boots sound like a good idea to me! I've actually been thinking of investing in some SMBs. I don't know how well they would do on longer trail rides, andI've read that jumping in them is not a good idea, however, I doubt we will ever be doing more than a couple of jumps per ride, and we don't have the space to trail ride for hours on end, so that shouldn't be too big a deal. I actually had some used ones a couple of years ago but found them so irritating to put on, and EVERYTHING stuck to them, so I oly used them once. But, although I am not a firm believer in those boots providing much support, if there's a chance they could prevent Crayon from overexerting a tendon or something, I'll use them!

Yesterday I noticed her leg was swollen a little bit again. It had never completely disappeared, but it definitely came back a bit more yesterday. It has been hard keeping her as quiet with the nice weather. I put some more clay poulticeon her leg today and I actually wrapped both front legs, but I won't be wrapping any more because as soon as her hay was gone she must have ripped her wraps off. I had even taped them and she still got them off. I don't want her to damage her legs further by doing that, so I think it's probably best to just use the poultice by itsself. I guess as long as she isn't lame, I'll just let her walk around quietly and if things don't seem to improve past a certain point, I'll ask the vet what's going on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:04 am 

Guess who was running around like a nut all on her own today? I also cannot put clay on her legs anymore because today when I went out to give her supper, it was pretty obvious she had licked the clay off her legs. But still, there is no lameness, no heat, and the clay had improved the leg last night and it's about the same today even after all that galloping around. I applied some liniment for the night though. I'm still going to give her about 2 more weeks off before starting to ride at the walk, and I am going to get the vet's ok before climbing aboard. It looks like she may just be stuck with a wind puff, but I don't want to just assume that and figure it's ok to ride. Things may still be healing in there, especially since the swelling returned a bit a few days ago. Maybe that's just because of the wind puff (if that's what it is), but maybe it's not.

I can't afford them right now, but I'm looking into the Back on Track quick wraps, for after exercise purposes. I'm not sure if it would be a better idea to invest in those before SMBs, or the other way around. But they look pretty good, something she would have a harder time getting off (or maybe she would destroy them...). http://www.doversaddlery.com/back-on-tr ... =250094109

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:40 pm 

I think it would be wise for the vet to take a look before you start riding and "working" again. As I said, I am not a vet and gave you an opinion over the internet from a few pics :funny:
It is very hard to tell what is going on with legs even if you do know what you are looking at and even though a vet takes an educated guess they often x-ray or scan/ultrasound to confirm what they think. It's probably a good thing she is choosing to charge around as it obviously feels better (if there was no reason for the charging around like chasing/running from something). Horses generally are pretty good at healing themselves if they are given the time and space to do so but remember it's one thing her choosing to go at a pace and terrain that suits her and another when you are riding and she is carrying weight as well as being told where to ride. ;)

I'm definitely not the person to advise on types of tendon boots, I have never owned any and don't believe in wrapping legs for injury unless it's to cover an open wound, in less than ideal terrain, to stop infection getting in. I do know that event riders and showjumpers use them quite a bit. I have just never really had the need for them ;)

Glad she seems to be feeling better though :f:

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:27 am 

I have similar opinions about wrapping and booting to yours. (But of course am not opposed to booting if it would really be greatly beneficial.) I have a pair of splint boots hanging around in case of a "wild" day, and one set of polos, but neither get much use. :funny:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:58 pm 

Just another little update for everyone - Things have been pretty good the past few days. Crayon's leg fluctuated a little bit for a few days but seems to be getting better and better now. It's hard to tell. The farrier came out this past Saturday so both hooves are now at "safer" angles, especially for healing something that may have been strained. Still no lameness. In fact, the puffieness seems to decrease the more Crayon is active - even when she gallops around like crazy - which is why I'm starting to think maybe she's just stuck with a windpuff. Who knows until the vet can come take a look!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:03 am 

In case anyone wants to know, Crayon had her checkup today and got the "a-ok" on her leg from the vet. It's still a still puffy sometimes, but she has not been the slightest bit lame from it. My best guess is that it's just a windpuff.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:28 am 

Apologies, only just seen this topic, pleased issues are now resolved. For future reference. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2946
For all inflammation, my own and the pony to manage his laminitis issues, we take turmeric powder, mine in water or milk but cancer doctors say in food or hot is very good. Pony has dampened feed, chaff some wet beet water with his mineral balance and turmeric. Twice daily if poss but once a day a tablespoon can really help.
Last year I had a spinal fracture and swelling, took turmeric in large quantities, ten teaspoons a day throughout the day to help with pain and to decrease swelling, it worked, otherwise it was catheter for life as bladder function would have been lost.
I don't know where other people in different locations from in bulk quantity, I use asiancookshop.co.uk and pureindianspices.co.uk and store in either plastic storage inside a dark cupboard or empty glass coffee jars under the cool shelf of the pantry.
The pain relief and anti-inflammatory properties really help me. I hope it can help your horses and families, especially as protection against stroke, heart disease, cancers, depression, altzheimers, parkinsons and many other distressing conditions.
Some info here but a google search or pubmed search will reveal much.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:29 pm 

Good to hear that Crayon is better now! :f:

We have one horse here at our barn, who had a swollen leg from a minor cut. The leg got slowly better, but after several weeks the swelling just came and went and never really disappeared. Last week she had a vet there, who did a combined session of acupuncture and chiropractic stuff and voilá! The leg is like normal again :ieks:. Must have been a drainage problem...

The horse owes us nothing.