The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Ongoing Cough
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:50 am 

Hi,
My horse has always been quite sensitive to dust and often coughs if he is fed hay. He's lived in a lot in his life but now with me he is out 24/7 and will stay out all winter. He has a field shelter which he has free access to and will be fed haylage all winter inside and out so he can choose where he stands. Last winter he only coughed when fed hay, and it cleared up as soon as I gave him haylage again.

Unfortunately about 6 weeks ago he started coughing a little, it got worse and he got quite lacklustre, so we had the vet, who gave him ventipulmin, which really helped, however when that finished the cough came right back. The vet gave me another tub of ventipulmin which he finished on Saturday. Last night he started coughing again, quite badly. He doesn't cough at rest, but as soon as you move up into trot he starts coughing and can't trot for long before he is puffed. The vet is coming out on Friday to to an endoscope and trach wash. I am quite baffled really as my horse lives out 24/7 and at the moment we have fairly good grazing so he isn't having any haylage, just grass. I suppose it could be a pollen allergy. He really isn't very happy though. :sad:

Anyone else experienced anything like this? What was the outcome? The vet was talking about steroids and inhalers which makes me feel so sad for my horse. :sad:

Post subject: Re: Ongoing Cough
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

I don't have any useful experiences to share, just wanted to send all my best wishes to you and your horse and hope that the vet can do something for him.

My horses also cough when they get dry hay, so I always soak it. Summy coughs now and then in the summer as well, and he also breaths heavily sometimes for short periods of time. However, for him that does not depend on his movement and does not seem to cause him any problems, luckily.

Please let us know what the vet says! :f:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:26 pm 

I have seen special face mask for horses allergic to pollen, no idea if it helps...
Hope your horse will feel better soon :f:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:42 am 

Well we got all the results back yesterday and it turns out he is PPID/Cushings Disease. This is why his immunity is supressed and he cannot shake off the cough. He started of Prascend last night, he will be on the medication for life. :sad:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:59 am 

I know a horse that has had a Period of itchiness, cough and bad skin, but today he looks great again despite his age (20+) and condition. I hope you will find a way, I am sure there is.

I can contact those people, ask what they used?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:35 am 

The vet thinks giving him the prascend will get him back to normal. I am just sad he will be on it for the rest of his life, but I am hopeful it will work and he will be feeling better soon. They said to begin with the prascend can put them off their food but that is certainly not the case with Rowan he is still gobbling everything up! :yes:

I'm glad we now know why he has had this cough for such a long time and I am feeling a bit more positive now that we can help him and we'll soon be going out on nice rides around the countryside like before.

xxxx