The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Osteopathy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:47 pm 

Does anyone have any experience with osteopathic therapy for horses? I have been thinking about having Er checked out by someone who does osteopathy, but I'm not really sure, since the therapy is quite expensive... I suspect Er is having some problems, but I can't really pinpoint them, so I was thinking maybe osteopathy could be better than the vet. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Osteopathy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:47 pm 

i have :yes:
Each year my pony's get a check up. If they have something or not, just some prefention.
And yes it is quite expensive but it is worth it.
You have to find someone who knows what he or she is doing. Can explain what, why and so on to you.
So you can understand what happens and why. So you can see the difference before and after.
The person who comes for me, can do more then only osteopatie also acupunctuur, chiropractie so she can do the whole horse if there is something else which you can not help with osteo.

i can not say if it is better then a vet. It depends what the horse for problems have. Both works in a different way. ;)
you can not compare it with each other.
What you can do also is "thermografie" (i dont know if it is the right english word) if you google you can find more info about it. That can maybe help you better in this case.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:43 pm 

jep I'm an osteo fan too!

But it really depends on the therapist, the girl who comes here now since a few years has made a HUGE difference to the other ones we had...

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:07 pm 

Best thing to do is to go shadow both a Physio and an Osteopath and see which approach you find suits you best.
I did a year of Physio and have now switched to Osteopathy because i prefer the more hands on manipulation based treatment that osteopathy provides.
Physio is hospital based for the majority of the course while osteopathy is clinic based so you should try and experance both to see which you prefer.
Physio is about fixing a problem, you do tests to identify it then fix it bish bash bosh, it is based on exercise prescription getting patients to complete exercises.
While Osteopathy looks at the whole person, it takes into account the body and personal welling as a whole and the treatments is hands on manipulation to the body (sometimes not even the injured area) to help set the body up to heal itself and become rebalanced.
Career prospects are good for both, differance is that with physio you HAVE to work in the NSH for a time once you graduate since the course is NHS funded. Which is fine IF you can find a job in tHE NHS. With Osteopathy you have more freedom to work either for the NHS in some parts of the country or in private practice.
hope this helps.