The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hoof Boots
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:33 pm 

I need an education about boots for barefoot horses - how do I choose some for Freckles? He has always been tender-footed on stones.

There are so many different types out there. It's very confusing for me. He has good hooves and has NEVER been shod, but most of the roads I intend to ride him on are compacted dirt so the stones work loose after a while and lay on top of the road surface. Most of these stones are sharp and nasty and Freckles very deliberately and delicately picks his way through them at a careful tip-toe kind of walk. It will be very difficult for me to change the "hardness" of his feet as we are living in a coastal plain and therefore our ground is mostly soft.

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

Post subject: Re: Hoof Boots
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:56 am 

Hi Glen,
There are lots of boots out there on the market but what is available locally, you will have to visit the tack shop and see what they have.
The old style was always rubber with the metal clasp at the front. They are a tadge difficult to put on and off but they do stay put. With these you don't want to be using them long term (for rehabilitation) as they can start to dig a hole into the hoof wall at the top. However they are great for cleaning and you don't have to worry about dirt/oil/medicine being in contact so they can be used in conjunction with muti and can be washed out easily. The newer types coming on the market are more material/velcro type attachments, more like a takkie you or I would wear. I have never used this type so can't comment but I could see that they may be difficult to keep clean.
http://www.easycareinc.com/our_boots/old_macs_G2/Old_Macs_G2.aspx
The most important point is that whatever you choose must fit snug (which means if you are putting them on easily they are probably too big! If they are moving at all, they are rubbing somehwere).
You will only need them for the front feet (unless you are planning day trips across rocky mountains!!!) so if you can take some kind of template of his hooves you will have a better idea of size. As far as I know they come in a small/med/large! I would ask the tack shop if you can fit them (send him off for 20 mins round the field and then take a good look and see if they are moving/rubbing anywhere).
Does that help at all?

We have always used the old rubber type and they have fit a variety of horses that have gone through shoe removal as an interim period. They can be adjusted for the correct fit.
http://www.shiresequestrian.co.uk/shop/product.php?productid=982&cat=574&page=1

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:59 am 

P.S I just wanted to add that the New York riot Police horses are transitioning to barefoot and they use front boots for road work!

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:02 am 

Yes - and the Houston police converted to barefoot years ago :yes:

Good, or what?
Rita

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:19 am 
Site Admin

And bitless as well I think, one of my friends lend her horse to the Houston police for 7 years as she has two babies to take care of (and the fiancial crisis struck :( )
He seems to have the best of times as a coppa without iron what soever :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:34 am 

I have ordered cavallo hoof boots, I expect them early next week, I tried some easyboot epics and Beau liked them, but I heard a lot of people who lost shoes while riding, so someone adviced me the cavallo's. http://www.cavallo-inc.com/hoofboots/index.html I'll keep you posted on how they are, too bad I can't practice cantering with them now...
Has anyone knows whether they are good?

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:53 pm 

i have this http://www.easycareinc.com/
they are very good for my pony, even in heavy mudd, dry sand or on the roads. it stay always on the feet.
The most important thing is that the boots have to fit correctly, the slightest movement can cause the problem that you loose them during the rides.

i have seen this one http://www.renegadehoofboots.com/
and they look good also. But they need to be fit by a farrier who know how this work. So he can make it exactly for the horsefeet.
Then it will fit better, they said...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:33 pm 

I have used the cavallo-boots.. They are very nice I think, easy to put on and off and never falls off...

But they do not have small enough sizes for my smallones, so now I have ordered easy-boots for Lisa - still waiting, so I don't know how they are yet (oh, I have a pair of boa for her - also ok, but I keep hearing lot of people complaining on them damagin the hoof. I have never used them enough to see anything like that, but the easy looks maybe not that huge.. ;) Those are the only ones available in Norway in small sizes--- We'll see... ;9 ).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:38 pm 

i have size 00 of the easy boots :-) pretty small i think :green:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:28 pm 

I must have 000 for Lisa - the shetties I donæt know if fit.. But they hardly need (only if there are very very much ice and I want to take a walk...)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:16 pm 

hahaha thats inni minni hahahaha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:33 am 

WOW Josepha - is it true - police in Huston - bitless??? Do you know or anybody else know any articles about it? And both the police in NewYork and Huston - barefoot!

My experience about boots is that Easyboot bare is much less clumsy for the horse - but it is a :evil: :sweat: :muscle: :twisted: to put them on! Specially if you have a horse that doesn't want to lift his hoofs for a long time (like Belgarion)!
I have now Cavallo boot on all four feet and they are fantastic easy to put on and they have never fallen off (but we hardly cantered with them) but they don't sit tight and it sounds "chlops chlops" while walking. To make them fit a little better I first put on wooden socks that I have cut so I use only the leg-part. It also defends agains chafes. I also have put pads in them, doubles in the fronts.
Not many days ago I decided to try the bare boots (I only have for the fronts) and it was a hard work to put them on but it was no sound when walking... But I preferr the Cavallo because they are easy!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:08 pm 

I think it is important to buy the shape of boot that best fits the horse. Manufacture is different so what might suit one horse may be unsuitable for another.
http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/MeasureHoofBoots.aspx
and an easycare happy boot owner
http://www.hphoofcare.com/boots.html
Easycare ask if boots are for riding only and what type of terrain as well as how many miles?
http://www.easycareinc.com/education/whatboot.aspx
Some good photo's of the Renegade boots on this page.
http://enduranceridestuff.com/blog/hoof-boots/

Bootsale at http://www.thehorseshoof.com/THHStore.html $15 per pair deducted until 31st Dec '09. You have to read the page and add the sale in the order coupon.

I do not yet know if Daniel or Arthur will need boots, so far they appear not to, but we are not yet riding out anywhere with any regularity.

Post subject: Hoof Boot Sugestions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:32 am 

I'm not sure if this goes under this form or the horsekeeping one, but oh well. :D
I'm going to get Rose some hoof boots to wear over the summer. Right now, we're mainly working in the indoor ring, but I'd like to order them ahead of time to be sure they fit and they are ready to be used more in the summer. I would be using them basically anytime we left the arena during training. This would be better on her naviculars, especially because we have to cross some gravel to get anywhere outside of the barn. Anyway, I wouldn't be using them for turnout, so I'd only be using them when I am there to be sure they stay on right. I also trailer her sometimes, and would like to use them to haul her in to reduce shock to her feet while driving. I would hopefully be able to use them to go on walks, because her naviculars (and that gravel we have to cross) is currently the main reason we don't go on walks. After that excessively long description of what I would be doing with the boots, do you guys have any suggestions? Any brands you prefer, or any advice whatsoever on buying hoof boots? Anything would be greatly appreciated (by both me and Rose). Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:10 am 
Site Admin

I have merged your question to an older topic about hoof boots, so you can check out the answers here but perhaps someone else has other suggestions now. I guess that since 2009 there has been some development regarding hoof boots. :f: