The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:29 pm 

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 232338.htm
Potent Spice Works To Block Growth Of Melanoma In Lab Test
ScienceDaily (July 14, 2005) — HOUSTON - Curcumin, the pungent yellow spice found in both turmeric and curry powders, blocks a key biological pathway needed for development of melanoma and other cancers, say researchers from The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center.

The study, to be published in the August 15, 2005 issue of the journal Cancer, but available on line at 12:01 a.m. (EDT) on Monday, July 11, demonstrates how curcumin stops laboratory strains of melanoma from proliferating and pushes the cancer cells to commit suicide.

It does this, researchers say, by shutting down nuclear factor-kappa B (NF-kB), a powerful protein known to promote an abnormal inflammatory response that leads to a variety of disorders, including arthritis and cancer.

The study is the latest to suggest that curcumin has potent anticancer powers, say the researchers.

"The antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-carcinogenic properties of curcumin derived from turmeric are undergoing intense research here and at other places worldwide," says one of the study's authors, Bharat B. Aggarwal, Ph.D., professor of cancer medicine in the Department of Experimental Therapeutics.

At M. D. Anderson, for example, dramatic results from laboratory studies have led to two ongoing Phase I human clinical trials, testing the ability of daily capsules of curcumin powder to retard growth of pancreatic cancer and multiple myeloma. Another Phase I trial is planned for patients with breast cancer, and given this news of curcumin's activity in melanoma, animal studies will soon begin, Aggarwal says.

Ground from the root of the Curcuma longa plant, curcumin is a member of the ginger family. It has long been utilized in India and other Asian nations for multiple uses: as a food-preservative, a coloring agent, a folk medicine to cleanse the body, and as a spice to flavor food (two to five percent of turmeric is curcumin, for example).

While researchers had thought curcumin primarily has anti-inflammatory properties, the growing realization that cancer can result from inflammation has spurred mounting interest in the spice as an anti-cancer agent, Aggarwal says. He adds that another fact has generated further excitement: "The incidence of the top four cancers in the U.S. - colon, breast, prostate, and lung - is ten times lower in India," he says.

This work is just the latest by M. D. Anderson researchers to show how curcumin can inhibit cancer growth. "Curcumin affects virtually every tumor biomarker that we have tried," says Aggarwal. "It works through a variety of mechanisms related to cancer development. We, and others, previously found that curcumin down regulates EGFR activity that mediates tumor cell proliferation, and VEGF that is involved in angiogenesis. Besides inhibiting NF-kB, curcumin was also found to suppress STAT3 pathway that is also involved in tumorigenesis. Both these pathways play a central role in cell survival and proliferation."

He said that an ability to suppress numerous biological routes to cancer development is important if an agent is to be effective. "Cells look at everything in a global way, and inhibiting just one pathway will not be effective," says Aggarwal.

In this study, the researchers treated three different melanoma cell lines with curcumin and assessed the activity of NF-kB, as well the protein, known as "IKK" that switches NF-kB "on." The spice kept both proteins from being activated, so worked to stop growth of the melanoma, and it also induced "apoptosis," or programmed death, in the cells.

Surprisingly, it didn't matter how much curcumin was used, says the researchers. "The NF-kB machinery is suppressed by both short exposures to high concentrations of curcumin as well as by longer exposure to lower concentrations of curcumin," they say in their study. Given that other studies have shown curcumin is non-toxic, these results should be followed by a test of the spice in both animal models of melanoma and in human trials, they say.

###
The study was funded by the National Cancer Institute and the Department of Defense. Co-authors included principle investigator Razelle Kurzrock, M.D.; first author Doris Siwak, Ph.D. and Shishir Shishodia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adapted from materials provided by University Of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:31 pm 

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 123051.htm
Turmeric: India's 'Holy Powder' Finally Reveals Its Centuries-old Secret
ScienceDaily (Apr. 21, 2009) — Scientists in Michigan are reporting discovery of the secret behind the fabled healing power of the main ingredient in turmeric — a spice revered in India as "holy powder."

In the study, Ayyalusamy Ramamoorthy and colleagues point out that turmeric has been used for centuries in folk medicine to treat wounds, infections, and other health problems. Although modern scientific research on the spice has burgeoned in recent years, scientists until now did not know exactly how curcumin works inside the body.

Using a high-tech instrument termed solid-state NMR spectroscopy, the scientists discovered that molecules of curcumin act like a biochemical disciplinarian. They insert themselves into cell membranes and make the membranes more stable and orderly in a way that increases cells' resistance to infection by disease-causing microbes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Journal reference:

1.Barry et al. Determining the Effects of Lipophilic Drugs on Membrane Structure by Solid-State NMR Spectroscopy: The Case of the Antioxidant Curcumin. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2009; 131 (12): 4490 DOI: 10.1021/ja809217u
Adapted from materials provided by American Chemical Society, via EurekAlert!, a service of AAAS.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:34 pm 

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 181238.htm
Compound In Turmeric Spice May Stall Spread Of Fat Tissue
ScienceDaily (May 25, 2009) — There may be a new way to spice up your weight loss routine, according to results from a new animal model study by Agricultural Research Service (ARS)-funded scientists and colleagues.

The researchers theorized that dietary curcumin could stall the spread of fat-tissue by inhibiting new blood vessel growth, called angiogenesis, which is necessary to build fat tissue. Curcumin is a bioactive component in curry and turmeric that has been consumed daily in Asian countries for centuries without reported toxic effects.

The study was led by nutritionist Mohsen Meydani at the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging (HNRCA) at Tufts University in Boston, Mass. Meydani is director of the HNRCA's Vascular Biology Laboratory.

Eighteen mice were assigned to three groups of six mice each. For 12 weeks, the mice were fed special diets. A “control” group’s mix contained 4 percent fat, a “high fat” group’s mix contained 22 percent fat, and another group was fed the same “high fat” diet supplemented with curcumin. A mouse typically eats about 3,000 to 3,500 milligrams (the weight of about six or seven paper clips) daily, so the curcumin-supplemented mice would have consumed about 1.5 to 1.75 milligrams of curcumin daily—a relatively small amount.

The researchers recorded the body weight and food consumption of the mice twice each week. At the end of the 12-week period, their total body weight and fat distribution were measured.

The study found that supplementing the animals’ high-fat diet with curcumin reduced body-weight gain and total body fat, even though food-intake was not affected, when compared to the nonsupplemented high-fat-diet group.

The curcumin-treated group also had less blood vessel growth in fat tissue. Blood glucose, triglyceride, fatty acid, cholesterol and liver fat levels also were lower.

At this time, it is not known whether the amount of curcumin normally present in food dishes prepared with turmeric is sufficient to inhibit complex fat-tissue secretions that are involved in recruiting new blood vessel growth. The researchers’ next step is to determine the effectiveness of dietary intake of curcumin in reducing weight in humans.

Adapted from materials provided by USDA/Agricultural Research Service.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:13 pm 

Today I went to a herb-shop 'Peperkoeken Huizeke' in Leuven.
They have Kurkuma for sale by weight.
I bought his last 400grs in stock and ordered 2 more kilos.

We talked about the good influence of it and he said the curcumin in it is an antioxidant, very good for the blood and the liver.
He did say, however, that it is best not to take it continually but to have small intervals every now and then.
For ex. taking it a few days a week and than not for 1 or 2 days.
Otherwise the liver gets used too much to the stimulus, so you would need to take more to have the same effect after about a year or so.

I don't think that should be a problem.
I forget things every now and than anyway... :funny:

AnneMarie

------
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make'em drink...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:23 pm 

My personal experience is that when I forget to take it one day, I hurt like a son of a gun the next day. So I will not be skipping any day soon. But this is just me so no science behind it.

Nina xx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:33 pm 

Kizzie on NHP forum found a UK Turmeric supplier 5kg for £13.99 + £6 postage = £19.99
Pure Indian Spices.co.uk

http://www.pureindianspices.co.uk/index ... 688b587df6

http://www.pureindianspices.co.uk still supply turmeric in 1kg, 5kg and larger options, but prices have risen, I now pay approx £35 for 5kg.

Last edited by PiePony on Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:09 am 

That is cheap!

I ordered 2 kilo in the spice shop in Leuven and it will cost me 32 eur.
But I was already glad I found it nearby.

But I think Barbara got some at 12 eur/kilo.

Next time...

AnneMarie

------

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:40 pm 

yep, 12 euro's for non biologic, 14 euro's for biologic, so I got the biologic one...

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:13 pm 

Quote:
Kizzie on NHP forum found a UK Turmeric supplier 5kg for £13.99 + £6 postage = £19.99
Pure Indian Spices.co.uk
http://www.pureindianspices.co.uk/index ... 688b587df6

Thanks for that link Susie :f: . Does anyone know how long it keeps? It would take me quite a while to get through 5kg, but it is a LOT cheaper than buying it in 1kg bags :yes:.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:31 pm 

how much per day is normal for a human? I feel it's doing something... but I take it quite irregularly, I heard that it's maybe even better to 'forget it'once in every while, but now it's more that I think of it every once in a while...
But I do feel better when I take it, it does wonders for my 'colon' (is this proper english... I had it translated at a website... so I dare to doubt the rightness...) which helps with my energy level during the day :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:08 am 

KDS wrote:
how much per day is normal for a human? I feel it's doing something... but I take it quite irregularly, I heard that it's maybe even better to 'forget it'once in every while, but now it's more that I think of it every once in a while...
But I do feel better when I take it, it does wonders for my 'colon' (is this proper english... I had it translated at a website... so I dare to doubt the rightness...) which helps with my energy level during the day :)

Presuming you mean your lower digestive tract, yes that would be the correct term in English.
I think it refers to all of one's intestine below the stomach, but I could be wrong about that, so before signing off on this I looked it up.

Here's a reference that explains just what the colon is:
http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/bo ... stive.html

Digestive System

An adult's digestive tract is about 30 feet (about 9 meters) long. ... The colon has three parts: the ascending colon; the transverse colon, ... a common intestinal disorder, affects the colon and may cause recurrent abdominal cramps, ...
kidshealth.org › Parents › General Health - Cached - Similar -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:10 am 

Quote:
Does anyone know how long it keeps?

Good quality turmeric, stored in big glass, empty coffee jars or suitable dry container, in a dark pantry or store cuboard, providing well sealed, (pop a sheet of greaseproof paper over before screwing the cap?), should keep okay for 12months, possibly longer as long as it's oils remain undamaged.
I use 3 teaspoons a day for me, but I think just half a teaspoon 3 times a day might be sufficient. I also add it to the feeds for my 3 horses and the dogs, so 5 kilo's will only last me 2 or possibly 3 months.
Yes it is good for the colon, very good for digestive health, which in turn allows the body to detox and take up the nutrients from food.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:29 pm 

It is super for the digestive tract. When I look at my horses' poo, it has never looked better, a little yellowish but perfect. :applause: One of my horses had periodically runny poo, not any more and the other had poo that was too hard at times. Since I have been taking the powder, I have no problems with over production of stomach acid any more. That used to be quite a pain at times.

Nina xx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:52 pm 

update here...

I am giving Beau the curcuma now because of his leg, should I stop one or 2 days too or just continue it untill he is better???
Pascha was really trying to steal Beau's food and so now he gets the curcuma and also the rosemary Beau get's in his dinner :) they LOVE it
I try putting it in our food too and was wondering how I could feed it to my dog,he is a picky eater but has artitis, so it would be good for him!

I love to know some more healthy things for my horse... and me

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 pm 

Well, I heard that it is a good idea to stop for a while every now and than.
Which is something I do 'naturally', forgetting it sometimes :smile:

But I also feel that sometimes (speaking for myself now) I don't feel like having it some day.

I think it was Nina who said that she cannot miss a day.
It is probably best to follow your own feelings about it.
And as for the horses or dogs, just don't worry if you miss it sometimes.

My horses also love it in their mixture and the dogs also ate it without too much trouble.
Just give them enough sauce it is mixed in, as the taste is quite strong otherwise.

AnneMarie

------

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next