The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:26 am 

:l: :l: :l:

Horses know when they are truly loved, and she can't help but be feeling the love! :f: :f:

http://www.tenderlovinghorsecare.com

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:09 am 

Karen, am horribly belatedly catching up with this -- your description of her nicker got me to tears.

What a thing you have done, here. Seriously. How many of us can say we've spent over a year and a half working to make pain go away for someone else?

You are amazing.

xoxo
L.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:18 pm 

We are closing the chapter on the beautiful Tessa.

About two weeks ago, she was "naked" for the first time in years. No bandages at all, and although she hadn't regrown all the hair on her leg yet, the wound was fully closed. We've had some horribly wet weather here with a lot of mud, so a bandage was getting next to impossible to do. Anything we wrapped her leg with got soggy and saggy. So we decided to stop bandaging just a wee bit sooner than I'd wanted to, but it was going just fine!

Today she colicked. Her gut was twisted. They couldn't save her. I have no idea why this happened. She was on grass...same as always. Lots of water. Same as always. It's not fair.

She's gone.

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:47 am 

o dear, that's hard.
i am so sorry for you. *hug*

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:39 am 

Thats so sad :sad:.
and after her wound was going so well :sad:. It sounds like she appreciated everything you did very much.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:13 am 

Oh Karen,
I am so sorry to read this. It becomes so hard to let go when you have invested so much time and energy trying to fix an injury. I don't know if you remember from my diary a horse called Dancer who broke his leg. I became very close to him as I was the one who attended to his needs and Morgan was his peer attachment and protector in the herd. They were inseperable. It was heartbreaking to watch him re-injure that same leg and to have to make the decision to let him go.
Looking back now, it was the best decision and the two years of healing and managing did at least give him the retirement he so deserved.
Tessa I am sure will always have a place in your heart and memories and perhaps for her it was the best time to go as hard as it is for us.
Take care of yourself and sending you hugs. :pet:

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:06 pm 

Oh, Karen. I saw this a while back and thought I'd responded.

Belatedly, I'm so sorry.

:f:

xxoxo
L.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:16 am 

Thank you everyone. I am still a little confused and angry at the universe for several things...Tessa dying and my boy Rio getting cancer...but I know this is life, part of the cycle of all things. I work quite hard at being philosophical and accepting! I am grateful for so many things so it's quite wrong of me I think to dwell too much on those things I have no control over. In life we lose those we love in one way or another, or they lose us.

I think Tessa will miss her son in the great beyond. He's still here. He wasn't so much a momma's boy as he was her self appointed protector. Tessa was shy of the other horses, so he kept them all away from her. I am very glad to have been part of her life though, and to have helped heal her. Seeing her in the pasture with nothing on her leg but the material the universe provided for her was wonderful. And the day that I removed the last bandage and set her free without it, was a beautiful day.

It had been raining a lot, so there were large puddles in the pasture. When I found where Tess was in the pasture, there was a large area of standing water between us. I called to her and she nickered back. She was getting to the point where she would always greet me with a little low nicker - at least, I liked to think that nicker was for me. It could have been that she was telling her son that someone was coming to lead her away. I'm not sure. But she would see me, nicker, then just stand and wait for me to walk to her.

On this day, with all the water on the ground (and me without rubber boots), I stood at the edge of the wet area and looked left and right to see if there was a short way 'round. As I stood there, undecided about which way to walk, Tessa took it on herself to walk across the water to ME. That was a lovely gift! And we walked to the barn and I took the bandage off her, gave her some treats and then put her back on the pasture without rebandaging her.

It was a nice day. :f: :f:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:18 am 

I'm so sorry Karen for your loss. I wish I could help take some pain away.

It does hurt so much when we lose someone we love so dearly.

Time will take the pain away but not the good memories you have.

Thinking of you. :pet:
Jocelyne