The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:58 pm 

the "nose it" feeders look good. Saw some stuff about them on the paddock paradise site

http://paddockparadise.wetpaint.com/

I too would love one and have been racking my brains how to make one or adapt something in to one. In my usual frugal way ;)

Making these and spending time thinking about how they live and what interests them has been really good to take my focus off training. I have hardley done a thing with them this last week and am finding the less I "do" with them the more understanding I am gaining and also my whole point of view as to our relationship in the world and the whole ownership/purpose of horse is shifting.

Whilst writing this I just had a brain wave regarding these pusharound feeders. I haven't thought it all through properly yet but...

how about a small barrel, similar in size to the one I made the barrel net feeder from. Cut some holes in the barrel itself, say 5/6 cm across and then add nets to both the top and bottom. The net would to be long enough to reach right inside the barrel to get the last of the hay. they could push it and throw it around and which ever way it fell they would always be able to access hay either through the nets at the end or the holes in the barrel. the less hay the more they would have to work, using the nets (only really small hole nets would make this work i think). the only problem I forsee is how to get the hay inside... Maybe the net on one side could be easily unattached... Umm, more thinking to do but it could work.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:11 pm 

Quote:
Making these and spending time thinking about how they live and what interests them has been really good to take my focus off training. I have hardley done a thing with them this last week and am finding the less I "do" with them the more understanding I am gaining and also my whole point of view as to our relationship in the world and the whole ownership/purpose of horse is shifting.

Isn't it wonderful to be the provider and carer and not the demander! Training is so low on my agenda....tut tut :D

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon