The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:23 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:26 pm 

Quote:
And yet they make you take your shoes off to go through security...yet another example of beauacracy gone mad.

:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

Oh, Heather, too true!

Logic? We don't need no stinkin' logic!

;)

Leigh

PS: KDS -- have you explored boots at all for your horse? They can be invaluable when horses are making a somewhat slow transition from shoes to barefoot.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:50 pm 

Hey Leigh,

I had boots, we put them on whilest riding 'outdoors'... like onroad (instead of offroad:P).

The problem with the boots we had, they were fabricated for that particular hoof... but the hoof grew in no time, so the boot didn't fit anymore...
They got lost when to big, where a horror to small, my horse now really hates them.

Still searching for the proper transition for Ruphina nowadays... Have to talk the owner into really getting her shoes off (only the front are left), she standing on the grass now... we can make walks on the pavement. I a month or two it should be less worse I suppose...

I actually am reading now in the book about natural hoofs (natuurlijk bekappen for the dutch ones) and will take another course (again:S) just to get checked up again and will give it another go!

Maybe this time also with a good boot.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:44 am 

Corado, my TB has been barefoot for 3 years now. He has a thin sole and always will. That's his nature. But he has no limp. I removed the shoes at the time because he was lame supposedly navicular :funny: that's a joke. He stopped limping when I removed the shoes.
Of course you may find a farrier who doesn't know what he's doing which will complicate things. We had found a farrier who decided to lower Corado's heels way too much. He didn't even want to leave his stall at the time.
Now I found a farrier who follows the 4-point method. I have read up alot of Pete Ramey so we try to compromise. He has alot more experience than me but I truly believe in Pete Ramey's method. So he has to convince me that what's he wants to do will not make my horses lame. They have not had a problem for the last 2 years (except an abscess but that's uncontrollable).
In my opinion, if you can't trim yourself (which I can't), it's important to know what the farrier is doing and why.
My horses are on crushed gravel and pea gravel in front of their shelter and soft terrain in their paddock. All is fine now.
P.S. Magik went barefoot as soon as I adopted him (january 1 2008) and has never shown any limp whatsoever.

I am completely sold on barefoot. I know most people will say that certain horses need to be shod but I would assume that this is rare.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:15 am 

Heather, how are your girls getting on being barefoot? My boy had his rear shoes removed recently as the first step in going barefoot. It would be great to 'compare notes' about how things go.

I have found the information at the site that Annette gave me (http://www.successful-natural-horsecare.com/) to be really helpful in addition to the other sites listed in this thread.

So far, I haven't seen any indication of soreness or tenderness in Honey's back hooves. The field is quite hard at the moment - even the grassy bits - and he's been on the road/pavement without showing discomfort. So fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:08 am 

The late (I didn't know he had gone until I looked at his old website, which his son is keeping up as a memorial :sad: ), great James R. Rooney has some excellent stuff about the four point idea, if I remember rightly. If it's not on the website, I can look it up for you. He knew a tremendous amount about the mechanics and forces of horse movements.
Dr. Rooney helped me a lot when I first went barefoot - he would always reply personally to e-mails and, as a barefoot exponent since many years back, even though a mainstream horse vet-academic (and pathologist, Alex!), he had it quite clear that any horse could recuperate his or her hooves, regardless of breed - in fact, he told me that there had really been no studies relating hoof strength to breed - apart from the Lippizaners (!) and no reason to believe that the two elements are related - good news for all those of us who have ex-racers of any description!
I'm glad to be able to put my gratitude to Dr. Rooney on record. In his book "The Lame Horse", which is an encylopedia of everything to do with horse movement, he makes it very clear that he really cared for horses, not just for satisfying their owners, and he never pulled his punches when pointing out how various sports usages were counterproductive for the horse. A great man.
Rita

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:27 pm 

Hi shannon, yeah, I think i read somewhere (possibly your diary) about you taking off the rear shoes first as the first step. I hope it is going well. I have noticed no problems with them, they don't seem to be favouring any foot or limping at all and they both look to be standing well and are trotting and cantering around as well as just walking. the ground is quite soft though ( some marsh but mostly grass/dirt with rocks in) and I haven't take them on anything harder lately. It has been about 3 weeks now (?) since they came off and I think I need to get the farrier to come back soon and check them out. I believe that at first it is better to have them checked and trimmed regularly as their feet become acustomed to being barefoot.

Thank you for the link, I shall have a look soon.

thanks for the new name Rita, James R Rooney - off to google him now.