The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:52 am 

Perhaps because its been a LONG time since I've had such a pale coloured horse I am only noticing something that is NORMAL, but have never seen it on dark coloured horses... but in any case, I'm wondering if anyone has an idea what this stuff might be!!?!

On Solana's face- near her eyes and cheekbones- as well as in her mane, all of this RIGHT ON THE SKIN and getting groomed upwards onto the hair shaft, is this dark, small, oily, pasty grit. I can't seem to get it off her because its very small, and sticky (not to touch, but sticks to her hairs). So, my thoughts are that its her own oils from her skin, combine with deep down dirt. My worry is that maybe its some kind of skin condition or something...

Any thoughts? or over-worried new mom?

:blush: :huh: :smile:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:13 am 

hi there :D :D

dont frett. i am thinking that it may be a type of grass. over here we get this grass called (sorry i dont know how to spell) pass-palem. when they are grazing or laying down, it attaches itself like bits of tar to their coat. i hate it. hard o get off! some horses are allergic to it and their hair falls off around their face and ears. but if not, we normally leave it till the grass settles. otherwise we would be creating an issue always washing the face. it goes away soon enough, then you can groom it all off. and good as new :f: :f: :f: :f: :f: hope this is helpful :love: