The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Equine Thermography
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:56 am 

www.equinethermography.co.uk

I have just completed my very new website and wanted to post a link here to encourage general discussion or questions that I may or may not be able to answer!!!!

Many people will have come across Thermography at the NHE forum and many people will probably have all kinds of questions or queries. I got inspired and decided to run with this particular ball! So if you have aparticular 'great' idea about a particular element where Thermography might illuminate something then please feel free to share it.

There will obviously be more 'stuff' posted on the website as case studies emerge but thoughts and questions meanwhile might be fun!

Jo
x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:21 pm 

Jo, this is so cool and I wish you the best with it!

Your website is the very first information I've had about thermography, and it makes a whole lot of sense -- I love the idea of being able to assess problems/potential problems before they become huge. This feels to me like such an important tool if we've got a horse that we're wondering about pain issues with.

I wish I'd had access to this when I got Stardust! And I'd be interested to see what it would reveal now -- I'm still not completely convinced he's not feeling pain in his back and shoulders.

When John, my vet, first did a diagnostic on him, he did an acupressure point test and reported that Stardust was showing extreme pain all over his body -- I got that, but only in a general way -- to be able to see pictures of what was happening would have been so helpful!

I'm wondering if there is enough soft tissue in the horse's mouth to assess pain from bits -- if so, Robert Cook might be a great partner in a study...

Rock on, Jo! I truly think this is another piece of changing horses' lives!!!

All the best,
Leigh

Post subject: Re: Equine Thermography
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:11 pm 

Jo wrote:
www.equinethermography.co.uk

I have just completed my very new website and wanted to post a link here to encourage general discussion or questions that I may or may not be able to answer!!!!

Hi Jo, I have just been looking at your website and anything that makes our horses lives better gets a big plus from me. So the best of luck with this venture and I wish you every success.

There is something that I am curious about. I am a Reiki Master and have worked with energy for many years. I use my hand to scan a horses body and pick up what I call hot spots. Like your thermograph I have picked up on sore muscles, injuries etc and have successfully treated them. What would be really cool if I ever get the chance is for me to scan a horses body and then for the horse to have a thermograph. Has any one ever done that ? You are lucky you have material proof with your system and even though the horses I treat heal i have no material proof.

Best Wishes
ET

Cherokee Saying

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:32 pm 

WOW! That was so informative! And now I want to rush off and get some pictures of us! But we're in the wrong country! :lol:

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:57 am 

I had a good long read of your site and it's seriouly interesting (even for someone like me who hadn't heard of Thermography before) It's well laid out and easy to navigate....I think you've done a brilliant job Jo. :D

Quote:
What would be really cool if I ever get the chance is for me to scan a horses body and then for the horse to have a thermograph. Has any one ever done that ?

Now Eileen has a brilliant idea here I think....I'd love to hear the outcome should you guys ever try this experiment out. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:29 pm 

I am soooo delighted with your responses!!! Thanks for taking the time to go check it all out!

Eileen - you have hit the nail right on the head! One of my main motivations, other than wanting to look at thousands of horses and understand more :roll: , was to make a cocerted effort at scientific type research for the energetic healing work that I do called Buqi (www.buqiforhorses.com). Like you, I scan a body and pick up different pieces of information about what's going on. What I really want to do is show 'a difference' that working energetically might make. Detecting and addressing heat and cold is fundmental in assessing dis-harmony and to be able to track changes over time, as a direct consequence of treatments is exciting. From a purists point of view I still feel things eneregtically that the camera doesn't show up - but then it is still early days in my experience of the camera!

Glen - no! Right country! I would love to come to S Africa!!!!! Tee hee!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leigh - I think you're right. It helps enormously if the owner can 'see' the pain in the back and shoulder. There's an image on the site of a horse with tenosynovitis and his owner was both blown away and very grateful to see the extent of the issue.

I think with the bit it is effective to look at the poll and TMJ of the jaw. What it really boils down to though is that the 'whole' horse has to be taken into account!

Thank you Celtictotem for really looking at the whole thing. Any thing I left out or you're not clear on helps me to know if I need to adjust anything - so feel free.....

Thanks again guys.

Jo
x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:57 pm 

:lol: All welcome - anytime!

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:57 pm 

i have taken a look too :-)
i am aagree with celtictotem, it is a good site
easy to navigate and very clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:16 pm 

I was already waiting for this, Jo. That webpage sure did turn out very well. :thumleft: And that is a really exciting project to combine the camera and Buqi. Looking forward to see more of your work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:04 pm 

Wow great work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:40 pm 

Boy, Jo, I hope you're doing "yay for me" happy dances about the reception of your website!

:-)

Splendid!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Leigh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:55 pm 

Good website jo. You would be just the person to answer the age old question about saddle fit and dry spots. Do the dry spots equate to the pressure areas as seen on the thermography?
I'm in the process of buying an Ansur saddle imported from America but the demo one still left dry spots.
I would appreciate your input.
Thanks
Andi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:02 pm 

Leigh wrote:
Boy, Jo, I hope you're doing "yay for me" happy dances about the reception of your website!

:-)

Yes I am! I truly, truly am! What a wonderful positive bunch of feedback! 8)

Thank you EVERYONE. It makes me feel so much more confident about pushing it out under the noses of a stiffer, less accomodating audience ... of which there is always copious quantities!!!! I have just spent a day with 'horsepeople' today; mostly lovely but awfully territorial about their beliefs!!!!

Andi - as soon as I come up with a definitive answer I will let you know! If dry spots are to do with extreme pressure then the camera is the ultimate tool to answer that one! I will look out for this and keep you informed, for sure! Thanks for that question.

Thanks Andrea - it is so nice to hear from you again! Have you got a horsey yet???? xxxx