The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:25 pm 

Can Magnesium be given if you're not sure they need it? If they are getting enough magnesium from a pastuer grass diet, can adding it as a supplement harm then in any way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:57 pm 

Karen,
From what I remember excessive magnesium can cause heart and kidney problems (everybody please feel free to correct me!!!).
So before I even start about adding magnesium I'm going to slowly implement the feed changes. I'm even thinking of having a full chemistry panel run by the vet before I do anything else. Too much can do more harm sometimes than too little. :wink:
I was just trying to get a feel for "how much" I *might* have to supplement. :D

Sue,

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH again for all your info! You are better than the best reference manual!!!!! :kiss: I just printed everything out again, there's a lot of research waiting for me! Thanks for all the links and suggestions!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:21 pm 

if I can make a suggestion, I would have a blood sample taken every 6 months until you see that your horse is balanced (mineral and vitamin wise).
In Canada, the sample costs about $100 but the information is so useful. They provide you with a written resume so you can see the progress and if you're giving him a new product, you can see on paper the change in his health. Of course once you've found the "recipe", all I would do is have the hay analyzed and depending on the hay analysis, I would give him the supplement which is missing in the hay.
This is just my opinion, I'm not an expert. But I've been doing this with Corado. also I haven't dewormed my horse for the last 2 years, the last time I've had an analysis done (May 2008) showed "no trace" of any worm (strange but true)Last year, he did have one type and I dewormed him with garlic salt.In October, I'll have it done again and see the results.
I love to have everything in writing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:01 pm 

I hope to offer this by way of reassurance to those who are worried by home trimmers and by those who are learning to home trim.

I have used Pete Ramey's protocol and have been coached closely by Sue.

This horse had had qualified barefoot trimmers for about 18 months and this was the result. The feet started to collapse and I was in a real panic place. The mare was trying to literally kill me in the first few months because she was so uncomfortable.

I reluctantly started trimming myself and now wouldn't let others anywhere near!!!!! Enjoy! I am so proud of us all!

AUG 2007

So this was the FR. Note the weakened walls, huge crack.

From the side you can see the falsified and rasped 'shape' to the wall.

And this is the juiciest picture where you see the collapse of the whole foot; the walls are crumbling away and the bars are laid over.

APRIL 2008

Now this is my master work! Look at the well connected growth which is 2/3rd's of the way down adn the angle of the hoof wall that is growing out!

From the sole you see the sheer strength of the sole and wall.

AUG 2007

This is the BR. SHe is still struggling with the whole complex of this leg and largely, I think, due to this.

From the meidal view you see more clearly the extent of the problems readily. The wall has been rasped into a shape and the whole foot has contracted from the heel to the toe to try desperately to get some strength.

APRIL 2008

And now, it looks amazing! There is still some evidence of a slight bull nose, indicating that there is a slight P3 negative rotation at the alignement to the ground.

And just so you know what I had to deal with at times....Karena's death pose!

Now she lets me pick up those feet and know that mama's here to help. :D

Before this escapade I would have agreed with Bianca; that it is too much reponsibility for such a technical job. But now I criticise the feet that are dressed by the professionals and I know some of what I see.

Of course my greatest gratitude does go to Sue; without whom this felt impossible!

And I would now also steer people ardently away from radical trims that cause horse's unecessary suffering; when you see the changes in these feet you can really appreciate what CAN be done!

Always, always study hard though! That bit is absolutely necessary!!

Hope this helps!

x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:00 pm 

@ Jocelyn:
Yes, your suggestions are great! I am leaning towards a very, very basic diet, then doing the lab evaluation (if feasable, I don't even know if I can get my vet to come out if it's not an emergency. :shock: ) so that I know for sure what I should add. I don't believe in giving supplements "just for good measure". I don't like wasting money. :wink:
Getting my hay analyzed is something that I would LOVE to do but it is impractical unfortunately in my situation. I have to buy my hay from a feed store in town and they get a new hay trailer every week to 2 weeks. They have several hay suppliers from north Florida to Georgia to make sure that there's always some hay available. The severe drought has caused a serious shortage already.
The hay looks different all the time, sometimes there's 2 different batches of hay on one and the same trailer! :roll: So it is financially impossible for me to get a hay analysis done every time I buy new hay. I feed about 60 lbs. of grass hay per day, so I go through a LOT! :wink: :roll: :lol:
I wish I could do my own analysis!
I'm working on a small lab here at home already! For Christmas my wonderful husband bought me a microscope so I have been able to do the basic lab tests (fecals, uninalysis) myself. Now I only have to put an incubator on my next wish list ... :lol:
I don't like the rotational deworming plans at all, that's what's prompted me to take a different approach. I do my fecals every month, know exactly what I'm dealing with and treat accordingly. I do use chemical wormers, but only as needed.
P.S.: I love to have everything in writing, too! :lol: I'm such a hamster when it comes to paperwork! :oops: :lol:

@ Jo:
Hiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!! You hijacker!!!!!!!! :wink: :lol: :kiss:
No, seriously: Thank you for sharing your success story! You are definitely an inspiration. You have done such a wonderful job with K's hooves, the changes are just amazing!
I still love K's death pose. She looks just stunning and she knows it!

Quote:
Of course my greatest gratitude does go to Sue; without whom this felt impossible!

I completely agree wholeheartedly! Sue is so knowledgeable, so experienced and such a great teacher with deep psychological insights. Her explanations, guidance and real life help have been invaluable. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Quote:
Always, always study hard though! That bit is absolutely necessary!!

Absolutely right again! You have to be very careful about what you read and who you trust but educating yourself is absolutely paramount. Every situation is unique and the more you know the better you are able to make a good judgement call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:31 pm 

Quote:
@ Jo:
Hiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!! You hijacker!!!!!!!!

I know! :oops:

That's why I started my own thread!!!! :idea:

x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:23 am 

Jo, you're always welcome and greatly appreciated! So hijack as much as you like! :D :kiss:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:03 am 
Site Admin

Jo, Excellent!!!
Wow what feet! You've done an excellent job. :lol:

Ralph is studying feet, but he has not enough time...
And I can not with my body, especially in winter, but I would so much love it to do it myself...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:46 pm 

ai Josepha it is so easy to do :wink:
if you do it every week you have to do almost nothing.
only a rasp...

(And yes i do it by myself..and have learn for it :wink: )