The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Magnesium
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:46 am 

Hi all,

Over the past 6 months I have been doing a lot of reading about feeding magnesium to your horse as a suppliment. My EP recommended that I feed magnesium after we first took Bo's shoes off saying it would help her hooves so I started reading up about it.

Apparently as well as being an excellent calmer it also helps with animals prone to laminitis as it plays an important part in reducing equine obesity and can lessen the risk of laminitis in animals prone to it.

Bo suffered from laminitis early last year (which lead to her being stabled and struggling to loose weight with restricted grazing and lots of exercise) So after reading up about magnesium I started feeding it to her about 5 months ago and have to admit she is slightly more relaxed....BUT...she has also managed to loose a little weight this winter, which she doesn't normally do as she's such a good dooer. I'm wondering if it could be the magnesium helping her to loose weight or if it's just a natural thing....

We are getting to that dangerous time of year for chubby ponies with the spring grass starting to grow so I'm hoping that the magnesium (along with exercise and trying my best to keep her fit) will prevent Bo for suffering again...

Anyway....I was just wondering.....have any of you guys used magnesium as a suppliment and if so what results did you get?