The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:50 pm 

Hi there:

Because I'm so interested in psychology, I spend a fair amount of time wondering what my horses are thinking and feeling and trying to communicate -- what makes meaning for them, what are they frustrated by in terms of what we don't understand, how to they speak to each other, what do they wish for, etc.

I came across this video of a really extraordinary young woman who is differently abled than many people -- I am fascinated by what she shares about the experience of living in her body and her insights about it, and find myself thinking about how people were inclined to utterly dismiss her intelligence because of her autism -- and how it's very easy for humans to do this with anyone who doesn't process or communicate the way we do.

Anyway, thought people might be interested in watching it, both because it's a powerful story about abilities and courage, and also because it might pop some interesting ideas up about how we see our horses...

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=4311223&page=1
(click a ways down the page on the left called Breakthrough: Autistic Teen Finds Voice Watch Video to see the video)

Here's her website: http://carlysvoicecom.powweb.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:31 pm 

Ah, I thought it was going to be about Dr. Temple Grandin.

You make your point very powerfully, Leigh. We do so like to live in our little box and peek out the little hole in it, through the prism there that is our life experience to date.

If we have not met someone like this, have no experience, we will presume things, from within our little box, that are not true.

This is the struggle with the horse - to find how they DO think and feel and no presume and not project and not anthropomorphize. To value their wisdom though we may not fully understand it. Heck, I'm not sure I understand the Dalai Lama but I get the feeling he's wise, and in ways I cannot know or understand.

I wonder how many wondrous people I've passed by in my life that I did not discover because I would not look, I could not see, and I lost.

Mostly I think my horses are funny, and we laugh together at our mutual strangeness to each other, but every now and then, just for a moment or two, my mind will quiet (and I see they are going quiet too) and a serious moment of wonder and appreciation occurs.

That's when a moment of breath talk seems nicest, though I am not thinking anything, more feeling anything, I just am being with them.

I know you know.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:45 pm 

i have met several people like this or a bit like this, those who can communicate in their own world, speak words can make things clear but not clear enough for the outsiders. We have a, you can call it a small village, with lots of this kind of people who live there and work there (as far they are able to work ofcourse)
i have worked also with some people like this. It ask a lot of understanding and thinking outside the box to follow them.
What they tell you or ask you, or how you can explain what they have to do. They had to work to earn some money.
They were able to work, but you have to find out a way to make it good for them so they can finsish the job by themselves.
There are not many people who wanted to understand those people without condemn them.
You have to open your mind to tune on their way of thinking. Only then you can understand...

This is also with horses. Most of us dont wanted to understand horses, they use them for their own ego.
So they can say, i own a horse and see what I can do with him. They say they love horses, they do in a sertain way, but thats is in their small thinking box. They dont see what the horses realy think or feel.

Did you see her transformation in behavior in the (btw small) movie?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:57 pm 

One more trivial example is that of synesthesia. It generally means that one sensation (like reading text) is directly and involuntary felt through another sensory channel (like seeing colours).

Quote:
In one common form of synesthesia, known as grapheme → color synesthesia or color-graphemic synesthesia, letters or numbers are perceived as inherently colored,[5][6] while in ordinal linguistic personification, numbers, days of the week and months of the year evoke personalities.[7][8] In spatial-sequence, or number form synesthesia, numbers, months of the year, and/or days of the week elicit precise locations in space (for example, 1980 may be "farther away" than 1990), or may have a (three-dimensional) view of a year as a map (clockwise or counterclockwise).[9][10][11] Yet another recently identified type, visual motion → sound synesthesia, involves hearing sounds in response to visual motion and flicker.[12] Over 60 types of synesthesia have been reported,[13] but only a fraction have been evaluated by scientific research.[14] Even within one type, synesthetic perceptions vary in intensity[15] and people vary in awareness of their synesthetic perceptions.[16]

I often try to imagine things like that. Once, because I can relate to some of these synesthesic perceptions, but also because I think one can train to think (and feel) outside the box.

The horse owes us nothing.