The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

Today Evita and Unico were together again after more than one year and uhmmm... Evita was in heat and Unico was interested (and so was she) so nope.. they don't recognise eachother anymore :sad:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:54 pm 

That sounds like quite what happened with the horses I talked about.

It's a strange sight I thought... seeing mom in heat walking around, stalking, her own son...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:13 pm 

Bianca wrote:
Today Evita and Unico were together again after more than one year and uhmmm... Evita was in heat and Unico was interested (and so was she) so nope.. they don't recognise eachother anymore :sad:

We are moving in a few weeks and G will be reunited with his mother, sister and brother, I wonder if he will recognise them or they him.

Cherokee Saying

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:00 pm 

I would think they do recognise each other, only hormones are so strong and horses do not have incest scrupules...

That 's why God invented humans :funny:

AnneMarie

------
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make'em drink...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:38 am 

Or they recognise each other, but since there is no stallion to send Unico off with a batchelor group, and no stallion to perform duties to an in-season mare, hormones take over fromwild horse behaviour.
xx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:01 am 

You're right Susie, that is the full explanation.
:yes:

AnneMarie

------
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make'em drink...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:58 pm 

PiePony wrote:
Or they recognise each other, but since there is no stallion to send Unico off with a batchelor group, and no stallion to perform duties to an in-season mare, hormones take over fromwild horse behaviour.
xx

I came to the same conclusion !

G recognised his mother after three years and she recognised him. Because he is a stallion we did not turn them out together but each day he watched with calm interest as we turned his mother and sister out. Normally when he sees a strange horse mare or gelding he gets very excited and dances.

The other day quite by accident or perhaps universal design they came face to face, G tried to be the big aggressive stallion. I don't know what Dama his mother said to him but she squealed and danced and within minutes he was apologising for bad behaviour. I've never seen another horse do that to him and in such a short time.

Cherokee Saying

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:19 pm 

ET wrote:
PiePony wrote:
xx

I came to the same conclusion !

G recognised his mother after three years and she recognised him. Because he is a stallion we did not turn them out together but each day he watched with calm interest as we turned his mother and sister out. Normally when he sees a strange horse mare or gelding he gets very excited and dances.

The other day quite by accident or perhaps universal design they came face to face, G tried to be the big aggressive stallion. I don't know what Dama his mother said to him but she squealed and danced and within minutes he was apologising for bad behaviour. I've never seen another horse do that to him and in such a short time.

I recall well as an adult my mother speaking to me in a certain tone of voice and with a certain expression in her eyes, and me going all five years old inside. Yes, I do remember. :roll:

Donald