The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:09 pm 

I've noticed some things when I'm busy with Beau, when I am working very slowly and calmly with him, he will do as I say, with a low head and will work very precisely, but he looks a bit dull and bored. He is the ideal childrens pony when you talk about safety then.
When I'm more energetic and playful, Beau will have a beautiful composure and will be proud and playful, but a bit less predictable and thus he tends to 'show off' sometimes doing jambette or cantering around me.

I was wondering, what is the best thing for him... he should know that he should be able to behave and be calm around other people that are not me, and that playing is something he can do with me. But will he be able to know the difference? Will he be able to be safe around people with less knowledge?

I have a collegue and she has a 10 year old daughter that loves horses. But they are very loving people and the girl cannot be around horses in a riding school, she feels horrible when she is there. So I was thinking of letting her come over to be with Beau and me. She could brush him and we could do some voltige things so she can have fun and love horses just as she wants to. But I wonder whether Beau will understand, he does act different with little children but I am still worried.

I know he can read my images I have in my head, I notice it all the time and sometimes I have the tendency to worry and get negative images... So I'm more worried about myself. :)

But I still wonder should I be calm and be his example? But I love to play... and be crazy little me...I know I cannot control my energy sometimes, so the question is... am I safe to have a child with my horse?

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:17 pm 

I don't think anyone can say it is safe or not. Only you can. But if you teach this young girl how to be with Beau in a safe way, then that would be the way to go. You would not let her run and play with him. If she can be quiet and Beau can be quiet, then that would be a good test. I think the question would be, can you teach her how to be with Beau?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:19 am 
Site Admin

I think it's great Beau is so tuned into you! And its both ok to be energetic and calm! The only thing I have to be aware of personally, is that I stay grounded. I see sometimes when playing with Imperia she totally loses herself and this can be copied by a horse from a human too. But I don't think this is the case with you and Beau?
In my Diary you can read my experiences with my niece and nephew last weekend. Evita is very careful and I can see that she understands she has to be careful with children and people who are insecure. She switches constantly in behavior towards me and others, so it's perfectly possible that Beau just understands. But for us as well as children, an accident is always possible. Indeed like Karen says, if you can explain how to safely be amongst horses you can diminish risks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:20 pm 

:D :D :D hi. i tought children, nervouse adults, and the disabled. i think that it is wonderful that yo are worried about this. :love: children and horses should be together.

in my experience it is in the horses nature wether or not they are childrens companions or not. i have horses that with me, are full of life, they are playful and young at heart, but when there is a disabled child near, they become a placid quiet bombproof horse. i dont know how they sem to know, but hey just do. they sence the innocence.

in saying that though, just like there are people that do not do well with children, there are also horses that are not good with kids. they are just not interested.

by the sounds of your horse though, he is able to decern what is required. these are the special horses that you just love for ever!

it is not anyone elses decision what you encourage from your horse, but they will show you the direction they want to take. horses are great teachers, and children are supprisingly good at communicating their needs well to horses. and horses tend to understand that a chil is a child. ;) i dont think i have been very helpful, but look at this photo maby. this horse was far from a childs pony, and still is when with adults.

i hope something i said made sense. i am sorry i have been awake all night with my teething baby. :yawn:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:01 pm 

Hi Barbara.. good qs! I have horses that do both too. I do have a few rules in place that work for us to help keep it safe.. I don't let the kids feed food treats to the horses, except under my strict supervision, unless they are experienced and I know that they can handle the consequences of having a horse all hyped up to train, or mugging for treats, or pushing each other around. I teach all my students to use Scratches and kind words and strokes for rewards. And I teach my horses how I want them to respond to certain situations in a really safe way. I also closely supervise, so that I can monitor the horse's mood and energy levels. I don't teach novices to play wild games, or use the cues that I use for certain things, or any of the behaviours that might put them in a dangerous position. I do teach them lots of other behaviours,..and body language, leading, how to cue without using pressure on rope or reins, how to pay attention to the horse and work with energy.. And then use the scratches and praise to reward the horse.. and my horses that work in this way LOVE it and will do far more for the children than they will for most adults! Some horses are better at it than others. :D So far so good.

Sue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:33 pm 

the big thing is indeed, me being the 'grown up' one :) that is difficult, I love being with Beau and playing around. But I do think that I can be calm enough to help a child find his way around horses...
I would love to help that girl get good experiences with horses and I do think Beau is a special horse, he understands a lot about people.

I would work about the basic things like understanding body language and leading and than brushing and just getting to know what a horse is about.
I hope that the girl (Jolien) will enjoy this!

thanks for al the stories, it was great to read, and I'm working on a collected(mental and emotionaly) Barbara ;) maybe Beau will copy me :)

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sure he will :yes: